Zip Tie Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
Cheaper than in a dive store????????????????????

Now that was a big surprise....not !

I needed a couple zip ties and I went to my LDS, and HE GAVE THEM TO ME! Can't get too much cheaper than that! LOL

Well Soggy the nice thing about those bolt snaps is that the hole in the bottom swivels. I just spent a few minutes with my SL4 and its bolt snap and could not break it off.. i'm pretty sure it's not going to happen accidentally. I'll make sure you're the first to hear about it if any of my zip ties break, and I have lots :wink:

Maybe we can settle this through compromise.

There is now such a thing as cave line. Some of us called the line cave line, so now it has (another) name. Feel free not to use it if you don't want to.

Zip ties are fine for tieing things to your BC. "Cave" line works too. The Zip ties will degrade through time more rapidly than the line, but if you change them every year or so it won't matter. Of course it is good to change your line periodically too.

Ciff Note: Line and Zip ties are both fine.

Except line is much cooler and all of the really hot scuba chicks will hang all over you if you use it, while the Zip Tie users will get beat up and be forced to wear pocket protectors on their wetsuits.

(Just kidding about that last part.)

outlawaggie:
That depends on the tie. Bear in mind the cops use zip-ties now in place of handcuffs. If the cops trust their life to a zip tie I think i'll trust my light.
For what it's worth -- those "flex cuffs" can and do break. The guy I saw remove his own was a 260lb. crackhead Blood gangster -- he wasn't angry though -- just being helpful. :11:

A cop that would "risk his life" on a zip tie should hang up the belt.

For those who are wondering -- yes they were the white (non-UV resistant) type.

Kestrell:
I have my bolt snaps secured with cave line but I use zip ties as a back up. ... That way if the cave line breaks (not likely) the zip tie will still be there.
Sounds like Kestrell is the kinda' guy who wears a belt and suspenders! :wink:

I know this might be a dead horse, but... the rationale that one should use line to tie on bolt snaps (instead of zip ties) includes the following reasons:
1) line is stronger
2) line contributes less abrasion on hoses etc.
3) line is easier and safer to cut if entanglement becomes an issue.

It seems nearly everyone agrees that #1 is false, #2 may be a non-issue, but I haven't seen anything on #3 -- cutting the thing off if you need to. Seems like line would be easier and safer to cut...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom