Zip Tie Replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option is the use of a constrictor knot. I use it on mouthpieces and also on bc hose connections. Often I use both a constrictor knot and a zip tie or bc hose clamp.

I doubt most divers have considered the fact that the only thing between them and a catastrophic bc failure is a 5 cent zip tie. A constrictor knot made from the appropriate material will last longer than the materials being connected.

A constrictor knot is so secure that you should not pull it too hard or it can cut a silicone mouthpiece

Zip ties don't usually get installed with proper amount of tension.
Is the failure you mention that the corrugated hose became separated from the inflator, with no zip tie to be found?
If so, this is the likely case.

FYI, if you have a thoracic or cardiac operation and have a chest tube inserted, the connections are reinforced with cable ties ( applied with a gun ). Applied properly, they do not come loose in this application.

Zip ties don't usually get installed with proper amount of tension.
Is the failure you mention that the corrugated hose became separated from the inflator, with no zip tie to be found?
If so, this is the likely case.
If in the water, that might be the case. If they fail on land you'll find the broken ziptie on the ground nearby. Obviously there are more potential failure points in any BCD than this. I was just hoping to reduce the chances of it happening because an inexpensive zip tie broke off.

There is also a quality difference in zip ties from various sources. I found the “general purpose” home-depot style ones a bit brittle and the plastic tongue not very confidence inspiring for scuba applications. Thomas and Betts (http://www.tnb.com) has e.g. ones that appear softer and have a solid metal locking tab. I prefer those.
I have to agree with Stefi SB that cable ties or zip ties come in range of quality, it is well worth spending an extra cent or two to buy a brand name tie. I have seen the metal locking tab ties fail in boats however. The metal locking tab looks to be mild steel and corrodes

I have to agree with Stefi SB that cable ties or zip ties come in range of quality, it is well worth spending an extra cent or two to buy a brand name tie. I have seen the metal locking tab ties fail in boats however. The metal locking tab looks to be mild steel and corrodes
I use these for years, only dive salt water, and haven’t seen rust on them. But then, I rinse my gear after diving. Just took one off my wing that is there for two years and it still looks like new.

I use these for years, only dive salt water, and haven’t seen rust on them. But then, I rinse my gear after diving. Just took one off my wing that is there for two years and it still looks like new.
It's likely that just like the differences in plastic quality there are differences in metals and metal quality. Craps, anyone?

Why not just double up? 2 zips side by side.

I do this in most cases. To include hoses on my double hose regulators. I haven't experienced a failure of the ones I installed.
If you are suspicious of zip ties, the one retaining your mouthpiece should give you pause.
The only ones I have seen fail were the very small ones (I over torqued it), and the other was installing one in subfreezing temps....multiple units simply snapped with no effort.

Having the cable in the hose connecting the pull dump to the inflator valve keeps pressure off of the pull ties and hose ends.

Other than that, I just use zip ties with the SS insert and heat the cut end with a soldering iron a tad just to polish it. I don't like sharp plastic crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom