Zip Tie Replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's likely that just like the differences in plastic quality there are differences in metals and metal quality. Craps, anyone?

Purchase from a quality manufacturer. Your typical Home Depot budget selection is not of high quality.

Thomas & Betts, Panduit, Tyton and Dennison are manufacturers of high quality cable ties that are used in various military and aviation applications. Products that meet Military Standard MS3367 improve your odds of getting a quality product.

Products that meet Military Standard MS3367 improve your odds of getting a quality product.

Great suggestion!
Amazon.com
Search Mil Spec MS3367

But just checked my shop stock:
From Home Depot:
Commercial Electric 8" cable ties
75 lb.
"Meets Military Specs"
"U/V resistant"
SKU 295 813
$7/100
SKU 748 726
$22/1000

Guess I got lucky.

Last edited:
Great suggestion!
Amazon.com
Search Mil Spec MS3367

But just checked my shop stock:
From Home Depot:
Commercial Electric 8" cable ties
75 lb.
"Meets Military Specs"
"U/V resistant"
SKU 295 813
$7/100
SKU 748 726
$22/1000

Guess I got lucky.
I would always be cautious if a store selling Chinese stuff like HomeDo or Harbor Freight advertised stuff that meets Military Spec, without specifying which specification they actually meet. Just saying .....

Good point.
For that matter, Mil Standard MS3367 was cancelled about 19 years ago. It's been replaced by SAE-AS33671. So manufacturers who quote MS3367 adherence? I guess we still don't know what we're getting, lol!
From what I understand, though, 3367 was only a dimensional standard. Testing fell under Aerospace Standard SAE-AS23190A (formerly MIL-S-23190E). And this standard had general purpose, heat stabilized and UV resistant specifications. So getting a tie that is "Mil Spec" could still be just a plain general purpose tie, unless the package specified more. Caveat emptor, eh?

Regular preventive replacement of a 10-cent part isn't too much to ask. But then, when guys don't bring their gear in for 3 years...

Last edited:
My local Home Depot sells Thomas and Betts cable ties.

As an electrician I work with zip ties every day. The black ones are almost always UV resistant and stay pliable in outdoor environments. Don't use the white ones for your scuba gear.

When you install cable ties don't CUT the tail off. This leaves a razor sharp edge.
Instead, grip the tail to be removed with your pliers right up tight to the head of the cable tie and spin it until it breaks off.
No sharp edge!

all this is temporary!
Everlasting is better :)
Did you hear about Whipping Knot?
View attachment 452505
This way is most redundant and also you can do it everywhere and anytime.
All ours "old school" equipment used this type of tighten for pipes, specially for ambient pressured details.
View attachment 452506
sure, it takes longer time to make it, but then you can forget about this connection forever. Pipe will broken early, than knot.
Just one remark - you can use kapron wire, but many years I preffer use Dyneema Braided Fishing Line (on the picture green one).

Takes me back a bit, nothing like time on the deck gang to learn how real sailors did it a hundred years ago. If you use a serving board you can increase the tension on the serving so it will hold better.

Serving Board used in the Merchant Navy for whippinp rope

Bob

As an electrician I work with zip ties every day. The black ones are almost always UV resistant and stay pliable in outdoor environments. Don't use the white ones for your scuba gear.
Agreed. Use the proper materials for the application at hand. The proper zipties (like most of the plastic floating around the ocean) will outlive all of us.

How many zipties are there under the hood of your car? How often do you replace them?

Agreed. Use the proper materials for the application at hand. The proper zipties (like most of the plastic floating around the ocean) will outlive all of us.

How many zipties are there under the hood of your car? How often do you replace them?

I used to build race cars, and we used zip ties all over the place. Extraordinarily durable, but easy to service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom