Zip ties...differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
File this one under triviality but...

Is there any difference between black zip ties and the white zip ties? I have looked at the packaging of several brands and the black ties have variously stated "weatherproof" and "military grade". Is this just marketing or are they actually different plastic compounds. One of my regs has a white tie holding on the mouthpiece, the other has a black one. I just want to make sure I'm using the wrong ones.

bwerb once bubbled...
I just want to make sure I'm using the wrong ones.

Boy, you're just a glutton for punishment, huh?:D

ps: I don't know if theres a difference, but the black ones look cooler.:)

Mike

Hahaha!

I actually caught that as soon as I sent it, I tried to delete the thread to move it to the general equipment section and the computer kicked me out.

Any moderaters out there? Please move this thread to the general equipment discussions.

Thanks...and sorry.

Brian

Yes there are some differences.. but not enough that you have to worry.

If you're blonde, they need to match your wetsuit.

:rofL:

At least with some manufactures the black ties have better resistance to UV light but are more expensive. So we use the white ones indoors and the black ones outside when there’s a possibility they’ll be exposed to the sun. In less than a year with constant exposure to sunlight the white ones become brittle and fall apart.

Blacks tend to be much more UV stable, but still have a finite life in the sun. For LONG-term sunlight and saltwater exposure Panduit makes a Pan-Steel tie in 316 stainless. Small cross section white ties are good for about 3 months in tropical sun, black ties will generally last a couple of years. I've had Pan-steel ties exposed on lighthouses for over 15 years with no problem.

There are major differences in locking methods on plastic zip ties too. These can be classified as a molded in "Nylon block" (releasable or not) or inserted stainless or steel barbs. The stainless steel barbs are more reliable, but cost more. The plated steel barbs are worthless around seawater if you want them to last more than a couple weeks.

FT

If you want to be DIR...go black...

Now that I'm aware they're colored...I will be searching for hot pink..or any other color that clashes with black.....

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Now that I'm aware they're colored...I will be searching for hot pink..or any other color that clashes with black.....

My catalog lists them in black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, gray, purple, white, telephone gray, pink, aqua blue and maroon. plus flourescent orange, yellow, green, and pink.

Not all colors come in all materials, but most are available in Nylon 66.

I've noticed the black ones seem to last longer in the outdoors than the white.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom