Zip ties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My plans are to pack a small pair of nippers in the outter pocket of my clothes luggage that I plan to check at the ticket counter. This way when I get to the baggage carousel, I can snip the ties and check to make sure everything made the ride in the aircraft's hold.

Hi TexasMike

I just flew back from Hawaii on the 14th of this month. Security at the airport was intense. No nail clippers, no scissors, no knives! Things might relax later on, but not right away.

Luv....from what I hear, the list you mention is for carry on luggage.

The nippers (small pliers like tool but for cutting) are going into the checked baggage. The only thing I'm carrying through is my day-pack with my regulator, snacks, water, and my regs/computer.

Though I understand the reason, I have to chuckle at the "no nail clippers" restriction. "Tell the captain to take me to Cuba or else I will give everyone on this plane a pedicure."[/b]

Without getting into the "why's" of the idiotic banning of truly harmless objects like nail clippers while really effective weapons like ballpoint pens and dental floss and credit cards are being allowed on board, for the removal of zipties, you can use a heavier ziptie and a toothbrush - loop the heavier duty ziptie through the one you want to break, cinch the toothbrush up close and twist.
Works like a champ.
Of course zipties in the right hands are deadly too, so they may confiscate those as well.
Idiocy.
Rick

This was all before September 11, but I always zip-tied my bags together and kept a pair of snippers in my carry-on just in case I got "red-lighted" (those of us who have been Coz know what I am talking about). A couple of times I was asked about them at the gate in Houston but it was never any big deal. Yes, I had to use them many times, probably every other dive trip but then again, I probably fit "the profile". It would be interesting if I can carry those snippers in my carry-on now.

We use wire ties for our zippers and we use locks on some zippers, too. Realistically all these do is slightly deter a thief. However, such theives are generally in a hurry and will likely select someone's baggage that does not have locks or ties.

Cutting the ties is easy and one or more of the following will do the trick:

(1) Use a knife from your hotel, condo, etc.,
(2) Carry a nail clipper with the file removed from it,
(3) Put your (dive) knife, Leatherman, etc. in a locked portion of your check-in luggage as opposed to a wire tied section,
(4) Put a small pair of dikes in your carry-on--I have never been asked about my dikes or my allen wrenches at security (Of course, that was all before September 11).

Jower

The zippy ties work well and all but I suggest the simple rubberband for package tampering detection, just save them from the morning newspaper tie a knot and watch the airport security fuss over it :). Depending on the Airline some check the checked luggage before sending it on the plane some use an Xray I put a rubberband on my carryon and was the person with the biggest smile watching them trying to open it, oh yeah I had to loose my clippers becasue the file wouldn't break for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom