Zipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the method for zipping shut/open a Mares semi-dry suit with the zipper at the back across the shoulder area??

texdiveguy:
What is the method for zipping shut/open a Mares semi-dry suit with the zipper at the back across the shoulder area??

I had one of those suits before and always had a buddy or someone else around help unless you are into yoga or double jointed LOL

If the suit fits properly, some tugging is needed to pull the sides of the zipper together and you can't do that on your own.

Getting out is easy enough to do solo as you can clip a 3'-4' line on the zipper pull and pull it across your back to unzip.

DA Aquamaster:
If the suit fits properly, some tugging is needed to pull the sides of the zipper together and you can't do that on your own.

Getting out is easy enough to do solo as you can clip a 3'-4' line on the zipper pull and pull it across your back to unzip.

Yep that is what I was thinking about,,,could see getting out of it ok,,,but getting in is another story--lol

Those Mares suits use a heavy zipper either "like" or the same as a drysuit and just like with my drysuit I can not zip it up myself. I tried to zip it myself a few times but decided not to try anymore since if I mess up the zipper it will cost $300+ to have the zipper replaced.

Not only that, but although I *can* reach my zipper all the way along my back, I find I get the undergarment caught in the zipper and that can't be good for it. So yeah, I ask anyone that happens to be around, to zip me up - whether it's another diver or a passnig jogger.

Unzipping, I agree - I can do that myself. I have a 2' lanyard with a little ss clip at the end - clip that to my drysuit zip, start the zipper moving by hand, then line up the lanyard with the direction of Zip and zip away. Which reminds me, I have to go re wax my zipper.......

hi
i too can zip and unzip my dry suit
no i am not double jointed lol
only i keep one finger under the zipper as i zip it to keep the material from getting caught
no line attached
i find if you pull zipper off of your back as you zip it
helps alot
i have been diving with same suit for the past 5 years
at least once a week
and zipper is still in good shape
make sure that zipper is well lubed
i use Seal Saver
one application will last 30 to 50 dives
i have found that if you use the wax on your zipper, and not brush the excess off with tooth brush you will damage the zipper
as the weather gets colder and the wax becomes harder it will get caught in between the teeth and rip the zipper
for your semi-dry
yes they do use a heavy duty zipper
since you have no material under your suit to get caught
i would suggest that you use a string attached to zipper
and other end attached to a fixed point, about the same hight as you
with the zipper well lubed, wrap your arms in front of you and tug on zipper
this way the front of zipper will not try to fold back into the zipper as you zip it
the zipper will get easier to zip over time
hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom