Zombie Scuba Cert? Really?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome This is the Zombie link :rofl3:

This is a joke, right? Are there that many idiots out there? Fun? You want fun? Try fart flaming. I'll bet it can be done underwater. With the right training, naturally. And fart flaming underwater has got to be much safer than doing it at home.

But what if there is Oxygen enrichment involved during the flaming fart dive? Obviously only divers with an UW Flaming Fart C card should try this advanced kind of diving.

Getting back to Zombies, though, I can see the hand of cultural insensitivity at work here. To devotees of many religions, especially syncretic Caribbean belief systems like Voudun and several others, Zombies are no joking matter. I've lived in the Caribbean, with local people and far from tourists and dive shops for extended periods, and I can tell you that the concept of the reanimated dead is taken very seriously by some highly educated and advanced thinking people. Just watching Dick Clark on New Years Eve TV specials a couple of years ago almost made a believer of me.

To make a game of other people's religious beliefs, to ridicule them, is wrong. It would be much like making a game of Christian beliefs regarding entering Heaven or Hell.

Actually, now that I think about it, PADI may have inadvertently already done that with their OW course materials.

Unbelievable!!! We are so PC that Zombies are even off limits.

Looks like a fun class. Might even take that one and I an FAR from a PADI card collector.

I think it's utterly ridiculous, but so are a lot of things these days. Like Allison I was diving before PADI came into existence. I'm not going to bash them but I do firmly believe that OW courses these days are so watereed down that they barely cover enough, just the bare minimum. When I finally had to get certified in the 60s, my Los Angeles County course was three weeks long and took us through the current rescue cert (although we didn't have all that fun gear to learn about like octos, SPGs, BCDs, dive computers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom