ZS7 pics/vid tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a ZS7 + Panny UW housing and wondered if anyone had any outright tips for obtaining the most out of this combo?

I don't have any accessory lights/flash at the moment.

Any insight would be great!

I have checked out another user's video out of his ZS3, so it looks encouraging.

I have a ZS3 (younger brother of your pany....STRONGLY suggest you get a tray to minimize
camera shake....made all the difference in my videos and stills....underwater mode in my camera is best for videos....the deeper you go the less color you get without strobe....turn off any mode/setting that consumes battery and you'll have more juice left for your dive....good luck

Mr Blues. Could you talk a bit more about the specifics of the base you use and how it is rigged up? I'm setting one up for HD video and stills, with a strobe and a video light. I am interested in a quality base that has expansion options.

Thnx

I use an Intova tray, arms, stobe and mini torch...mainly because they're cheap....there are lots of others out there....I'm still new to the whole UW photo game....but so far they work ok for me.
As for a video light I'd say try to get the widest coverage/spread with the most lumens....it can get real pricey. My best video color has been at relatively shallow depths where natural light prevails.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info Mr. Blues! So far I'm really liking this camera, for the money, performance and size.

Eventually I'll outfit mine with a similar rig to augment the Panny housing.

The majority of my diving will be in less than 100' and warm water.

Do you see any use for the red or blue filters that are available to stick on the front of the housings?

I'm not aware of any red/blue filters that go in front of housing...show me what they are....
if you use the UW scene mode it seems to provide the correct color balance...my camera has limited manual adjustment so I ended up using UW scene for vids and manual mode for stills with a stobe because I could adjust the shutter speed to a faster setting.
Your ZS7 has many more manual adjustments so you'll just have to experiment...if those filters are affordable might as well go for it. Remember, depending on your computer photo software, you'll be able to tweak the shots (post production) as well. You might want to check out some UW clips on YouTube and see what other divers are using with their Pannys. this was 2 years ago no stobe, no tray, just point and shoot,
... http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7002/p1010084ke.jpg
Where are you going diving with your new photo gear?
ps get at least one other battery and international electric adaptor for your battery charger

For underwater photography, there are only a couple of options to color correct the images...with film the only option was a filter... it cut out all the extra blue/green to make a color balanced image, but it did it at the cost of cutting out almost all the light.
And, one size fit all.

Today, one can manually adjust White Balance (which in underwater photography turns up the red channel), so the resulting image will now be brighter.

This works for video or stills. As you go deeper, you can turn up the red channel to the point where the images start to look, well odd....

Here is a couple examples:

This first one was taken at around 60 ft, in not very clear, green/blue water:

divers_101.JPG

Here is what it looks like with white balance correction (no strobe was used)

divers_101a.JPG

This next one show the limits of doing this:

This was taken deeper, on an overcast day...clearer water, but there was not enough natural light to completely correct everything:

parrot_101.JPG

and now with white balance adjustment:

parrot_100.JPG

The fish is the right color, but the background is washed out...

I did these with a camera that shoots raw, so I could do before and after images... you need to not make the before ones.

I have the same camera and I'm going to work on white balance this weekend, hopefully. You can set white balance manually so I will set it at depth by exposing it to a white slate which is basically telling the camera what white looks like at that depth. I'll let you know how it works and that may be the answer to your question of filters.

hi,

I've been setting the white balance with a white plate underwater and it works pretty well; remember you need to readjust it as you go deaper/change depth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom