Zuiko 50mm Macro lens - a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the Sigma 105mm so far and feel that while this is a great lens for land it might not be the best choice for uw macro shooting, simply because it is so powerful that I have a hard time locating the subject and keeping it in the frame. Also, with my DS-51 strobes I can't go with apertures over 14 or underexposure results. This in turn brings issues with depth of field. So I have been thinking about the Zuiko 50mm macro lens. But I don't want to shell out a lot of cash for something comparable to my 14-54 zoom lens, if that is case. Is it worth to buy the dedicated 50mm lens as opposed to using my zoom lens for macro, with a wet lens attached if additional magnification is desired?

I'm fighting the same battle.

These were all shot with a 14-54mm lens, and 8" dome port.

All though they are not macro, they do get pretty close, and I'm weighing the option also for the 50mm lens, and flat port for shooting macro

After researching this recentley, I found the 50mm lens VERY popular for shooting macro, and everyone said the same as Jyle, who shoots some of the most increadible UW pics I seen, is the 50mm lens is made for macro, and the 14-54mm lens is a telephoto.

All though I'm trying to justify spending MORE money on my set up, I'm also trying to learn it , as I only bought it alittle over a month ago.

Also FYI, Jyle, Phil Ruddin, and many others helped me make some very good and wise choices, and also Ryan at Reef Photo, as I talked with him a few times, and bought my ULCS Bouancy arms from him, and love them

Good luck, and let us know if you make the plundge, and what the results are !

Attachments

• P8040326_edited-2.jpg
    P8040326_edited-2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 38
  • P9020655-edit.jpg
    P9020655-edit.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 38
  • P9160771_edited-1-640x480.jpg
    P9160771_edited-1-640x480.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 39
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back