ZX50D Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S4L

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys, I am hoping you can help me make a decision. I have been having issues with my regulator and am trying to decide what I should do next.

History:

I have a zeagle ZX50D that I've been diving with for ~ 3 years now. I've had no issues with it (if memory serves me correctly) until last August when I went to Bonaire :shakehead: It was during this time that it began to freeflow on my waaaay to easily and to a large extent, simply leak at all times (slow hiss from 2nd stage while out of water). The adjustments on the 2nd stage did not affect this and when I say it freeflowed too easily, it was hard to get it to stop, turning upside down in the water, tongue in the 2nd stage etc. etc. didn't stop it. So, I had it serviced by the shop that was on location where we were staying and he did, whatever it is he did.. Gave it back to me and basically said nothing was wrong with it, he just tightened something up (Didn't charge me a cent :D ). If I remember correctly, I still had some issues with the reg, but for the most part it was fine (small issues as in faint leak while out of water).

When I got back from that trip I took the reg into the LDS here that can service Zeagle and had them service it for me. They didn't ask if I had any issues, so I gave it to them and got it back without any words exchanged really..

My last trip using this reg was in January and I went down to Nassau and dove with the sharks :D But... I still had issues with the reg, I don't think it freeflowed like it was doing, but it still had an audible leak coming from the second stage (It is hard to remember, because at this point I was/am pretty pissed with the reg and am/was ready to buy a new one). Again, the adjustments on the 2nd stage seemed to do nothing.

I haven't been diving since then :shakehead: :depressed: But have a trip coming up to Florida and then to Bali and at this point I obviously don't trust my regulator.

I write all this for your thoughts on 1.) Buying a new reg or 2.) Having this reg serviced AGAIN to find the issue?????

- The first two services were done by Scubatoys, the last one was done by a local LDS, because I was thought maybe I should try a different repair shop.
- This reg is kept in the same manner as two other regs, aeris, that do not have any issues (that I am aware of, not my regs, but haven't heard complaints).

Do you guys have any insight on the matter? I thought I would give this reg one last chance before purchasing another one because it seems to get such good reviews for reliability. Is it just an adjustment issue??? I thought at one point it might be the way I cleaned it (salt build up), so I went from initially just rinsing my regs to soaking them (with no change in performance or reliability).

I'm not really clear on the situation, it SOUNDS like the reg began acting up at some point after your 2nd 'service' at Scubatoys, correct ? Sounds like you're saying you believe Scubatoys screwed up the 2nd service, in addition, the 3rd service (at the local dive shop) improved things somewhat but didnt really fix it? You might want to contact 'Scott zeagle' over on the Zeagle manufacturer's forum for help, he's helped me out before and seems pretty responsive to customers. Also, as you found out the hard way, NEVER take a newly serviced reg straight to a dive trip without testing it out yourself in the lake/pool, or at least hook it up to a full scuba tank, breathe off it, and see if you spot any obvious problems....leaks, etc. I can't rule out the possibility you've got a 'lemon', but I've got a TON of different regs from many manufacturers and I've NEVER had a 'lemon' from any of them......so the odds are you need a real professional reg tech (see Scott Zeagle for references). I'm assuming you have no warranty coverage ?

It is HIGHLY unlikely you need a new reg. It is most likely just a 2nd stage adjustment issue.

FYI: Properly tuned, it is acceptable for the Zeagle ZX 2nd stages to have a very slight "leak" (very slight hiss, not a "freeflow") when the adjuster is at it's easiest breathing position (full counter clockwise).... but the hiss should STOP with maybe 1/2 - 3/4 turn inwards (clockwise).

If the slight hiss can't be stopped with the adjuster, than either the reg needs to be adjusted, or the "soft parts" need to be replaced (seat, o-rings).

It is important to check for proper intermediate pressure (IP) before proceeding to trying to diagnose the 2nd stage. "Optimum" IP for your regulator is 135 psi I believe, but 130 - 145 psi is "ok" IP range for that reg (from memory, I might be wrong).

You have a great reg, it just needs some TLC. I own & service 2 Zeagle Flathead VI's (same 2nd stage as your reg I believe), and they are terrific regulators.

Good luck.

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the advice guys.

1.) Yes the reg is still under warranty, but traditionally speaking, warranty work is a PITA. Though I have never dealt with Zeagle.

2.) Yes, I was worried Scubatoys didn't do proper maintenance work, but didn't want to outright say it. Scubatoys has been a fantastic company to work with, they have helped my family and I multiple times. :thumbs-up: Wish I could get that kind of help out of a local LDS.. but that is another thread

3.) Thanks for the feedback guys, With what you have said LeadTurn, I think I will rent a tank and double-check to make sure that the adjustments are in the off positions and see if the Reg still hisses.

:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom