Zyrtec and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it ok to use Zyrtec (not Zyrtec D) and dive?

I am not a Dr but I take it and I dive. Granted I am a brand new diver. I take one pill nightly for allergies. I would not take something for the sole purpose of clearing my sinuses so I could dive on a specific day but a routine daily pill I feel is ok for me.

I have taken it and dove...never had a problem. You might not need it when breathing on SCUBA because the air is filtered of all contaminents. My stuffy nose all but practically goes away when I breathe off my tank.

Zyrtec is an antihistamine, and generally has minimal to no drowsiness side effects. If you have been taking the medication for some time and know you tolerate it well, you should be fine to dive on it.

If you are taking it in an effort to relieve allergy-related congestion that is interfering with diving, I would be very cautious. Although it is considered a long-acting drug, you cannot be certain of how long it will be effective, and if it wears off underwater, you will end up with a reverse block, which at best is unpleasant, and at worst can cause permanent and serious damage to your ears or sinuses.

Back
Top Bottom