How many dives in drysuit before resuming technical diving in one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nradkins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I am an already certified AN/DP and Cave diver, but I have not yet used a drysuit. I am getting my custom drysuit in end of May, and will be completing my drysuit course on June 15th-16th. My question is, how many dives should I get in a drysuit before I resume technical diving, or perhaps a better question is what benchmark should I hold myself to so that I can start technical diving again safely in a drysuit? I know the question might be obvious(buoyancy under control, no runaway ascents, comfort in it, etc) but is there anything else I am not thinking of? One thing I thought of is practicing deco stops on my initial post-training dives with my extra tank(s) to simulate deco dives without any deco time, so to negate the danger of DCS from shooting to the surface. Thanks for any replies.

I wouldn't think so much as a minimum number of dives so much as amount of task loading and instinct in an emergency.
In my opinion IF you're truly solid on neutral buoyancy, orienting yourself to have air be able to vent (ie correct inversion) and other skills you'll be taught there's no reason to not simply use your best judgement to "dive within your abilities and training" without a "technical" vs "non-technical" delineation...
Getting hypothermic to level of nonsensical (or death...) simply flooding your suit in standing depth cold water after a tiring dive and difficult exit due to surf (regardless of "technical" or "non-technical" nature of your dive profile...) can leave a diver just as dead as an uncontrolled ascent...
Getting a dry suit that fits properly will give you a great headstart on resuming "normal for you" diving, but if you're starting off concerned with "shooting to the surface" my personal baseline goal (not advice, purely personal opinion) is be insanely under control with neutral buoyancy in drysuit from 30' to surface EVERY time you ascend and you'll be fine whether "a few" or "a ton" of drysuit dives before getting back into tec diving (which intrinsically will encompass peripheral drysuit skills in the process of achieving that skill).

drysuits can take 20-30 dives (or more) to really get used to. After you figure out all of the venting procedures, getting the trim dialed in takes practices. Shouldn’t be too hard for someone with your type of training, but will take time.

I do more cave than deep diving so I’m thinking about it with that in mind … I’d suggest doing a few dives at each level of your training and working back up to your highest level. Meaning don’t do a 5000’ scooter dive with 2 stages and 17 jumps. Drysuits have more drag and increase your work of breathing. So you will need to reset your mindset on SAC, swimming distances, and task loading. After you do 20 or so dives in open water, when you do go into a cave, start with a few mainline dives, then add a stage for a few more, and work your way back up from there

I agree with @GiraffeMarineSalvage; it’s however many dives it takes you to confidently keep everything under control. With even minimal drysuit experience, you’ll probably be fine at the bottom. The challenges come during ascent, where you have to manage rapidly changing buoyancy while making gas changes, watching stop time, monitoring gf, shooting an smb, etc. The drysuit adds significantly to task loading until managing it becomes second nature.

It sounds like your plan is solid; get drysuit training, get experience diving dry, practice making deco stops without any deco obligation. Once you are stable and comfortable, move on to small deco obligations and slowly increase as your skills and confidence increase. Don’t over think it. Enjoy diving dry and warm and the rest will take care of itself. You’ll know when you’re ready.

I wouldn't think so much as a minimum number of dives so much as amount of task loading and instinct in an emergency.
In my opinion IF you're truly solid on neutral buoyancy, orienting yourself to have air be able to vent (ie correct inversion) and other skills you'll be taught there's no reason to not simply use your best judgement to "dive within your abilities and training" without a "technical" vs "non-technical" delineation...
Getting hypothermic to level of nonsensical (or death...) simply flooding your suit in standing depth cold water after a tiring dive and difficult exit due to surf (regardless of "technical" or "non-technical" nature of your dive profile...) can leave a diver just as dead as an uncontrolled ascent...
Getting a dry suit that fits properly will give you a great headstart on resuming "normal for you" diving, but if you're starting off concerned with "shooting to the surface" my personal baseline goal (not advice, purely personal opinion) is be insanely under control with neutral buoyancy in drysuit from 30' to surface EVERY time you ascend and you'll be fine whether "a few" or "a ton" of drysuit dives before getting back into tec diving (which intrinsically will encompass peripheral drysuit skills in the process of achieving that skill).
Sounds completely reasonable! Thanks for the detailed reply.

drysuits can take 20-30 dives (or more) to really get used to. After you figure out all of the venting procedures, getting the trim dialed in takes practices. Shouldn’t be too hard for someone with your type of training, but will take time.

I do more cave than deep diving so I’m thinking about it with that in mind … I’d suggest doing a few dives at each level of your training and working back up to your highest level. Meaning don’t do a 5000’ scooter dive with 2 stages and 17 jumps. Drysuits have more drag and increase your work of breathing. So you will need to reset your mindset on SAC, swimming distances, and task loading. After you do 20 or so dives in open water, when you do go into a cave, start with a few mainline dives, then add a stage for a few more, and work your way back up from there
Also sounds completely reasonable!

drysuits can take 20-30 dives (or more) to really get used to.
I guess it depends on the individual. I was used to mine after the first day.

I guess it depends on the individual. I was used to mine after the first day.
+1

I began diving my (custom DUI) drysuit immediately after it arrived. No drysuit course, and no prior experience diving dry except for a single, long-ago quarry session, solo, shallow, wearing a friend's personal drysuit (my intro to drysuit diving!).

I began taking an IANTD Deep Air cert course (which involved drysuit, BP/W, manifolded doubles, and a single deco cylinder) a few months after my drysuit had arrived and I had completed several dry, recreational, single-cylinder dives on Great Lakes shipwrecks. No prior experience in BP/W. No doubles course. No issues whatsoever.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom