Pick 1 or 2 out of 4... Alor, Derawan, Raja, Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanderwhale13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've read SO much on these different dive sites on this board and everyone has their own favorites. I'm already in Malaysian borneo already, so getting to Derawan or Maratua wouldn't be as difficult for me (I'm in contact with a few places and would go the ferry route). Some background on me...

Not terribly experienced, not brand new, just your average recreational diver (50 dives), used to diving in California. I was a very adventurous solo backpacker before I was a diver, so there's a bit of fun for me in getting deep into a country in hard to reach places. If anywhere is too overrun with tourists, I tend not to like it as much (I believe there is great diving in Bali too, I have a harder time believing I'll love staying there).

I do love macro, really though, I just love anything that feels different and exciting. My budget is low but not quite true backpacker low, so I can afford definitely 1 hard to get to area, maybe 2 depending on how pricey.

My other caveat is that liveaboards are not for me at this moment. If I do Komodo, I'll be doing Scuba Junkies land based. All of this would be within the next month.

If you were me, which would you choose and why?

Scuba Junkies has a branch on Derawan.
You will get a slight discount on their other operations after that and Komodo is highly recommended.
If you want to explore Kalimantan after Derawan then you should try to reach Samarinda and then travel up the Mahakam River.

Scuba Junkies has a branch on Derawan.
Yup! I'm in touch with them already and thinking I will likely go with this one as one of my 2 spots... Since I'm already in this part of the world and can ferry over I think it makes sense.

And thank you for the travel tips! I do want to take some time exploring Kalimantan.

I guess also relevant then is which of my other options will give me some variety if I'm diving derawan?

Ferry from Samarinda to Parepare in Sulawesi, I had done the trip the other way, and then work your way up to Manado. Lembeh certainly offers something completely different(macro) from Derawan.

AFAIAC the top attraction in Sulawesi is Torajarland. The culture is unique. Enjoy and respect.

If budget is part of the equation, you can probably take Alor and R4 off the table. Even the most basic options in either place are not all that cheap. You will absolutely get world-class diving at a better price in Komodo. Flights will be cheaper, too. I cant say enough good things about Scuba Junkies Komodo. They have a good thing going on for backpackers and ex-backpackers like myself.

Centrals,
Am I correct in thinking that homestays are another way of saying a small, family owned and operated business?

If budget is part of the equation, you can probably take Alor and R4 off the table. Even the most basic options in either place are not all that cheap.
I disagree with R4 not being affordable: homestays with dive centers can be had for 40$/night with three meals included. That's cheap! Dives for under 50$ with equipment. I've been very happy with the homestay options in Raja Ampat!

Thank you all for your advice! @Centrals do you know if I have applied for a 60 day tourist visa and it does not come through in time can one still get a visa but on arrival on the ferry crossing?

My current plan is to go into Kalimantan but I am not sure now if I will get my visa in time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom