Taking a boat out to look for teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericb14

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone, I'm taking a buddy and his girlfriend out of Venice Laguna on a personal boat to look for shark teeth. The idea is to go out in about 30-40' of water just south (around Sharky's pier way). We are all certified, will leave one on the boat while two go down. Probably the end of August this year, arrive at 10am, dive two tanks and keep our fingers crossed for good weather and luck.
Any recommendations? Any better areas than others?

Been on a dozen or so charters out of Venice to look for teeth over the past couple of years. Most of the dives were in the 25-35 foot range. Only had one hit 40 feet.

My first suggestion is to pick your day carefully for the calmest seas and best clarity. Storms are needed to shift the sands and reveal the most teeth. However, the length of time it takes after a storm for the clarity to return can be measured in days or weeks. So take that into account.

From a charter perspective they want to shoot for 8 or more foot visibility. Where I'm from (Vermont) I consider anything over 18 inches to be crystal clear so for teeth hunting I'd be happy with 4 feet or more vis.

If calm seas are important to you, you will also want take a good look at the surf reports for South Jetty in Venice. This will give you a very good idea as to the swell, chop and wind expected for the day you want to go. I am susceptible to mal-de-mer and I am physiologically unable to vomit so I cannot afford to get seasick. So I use the surf reports to find a morning with an offshore breeze and seas less than 1.5 feet. That's the next best thing to glass. So that knowledge, combined with meclazine, has prevented me from getting even the slightest touch of mal-de-mer.

Might I also recommend an earlier start to your diving day. All the charters I've been on have been sunrise starts. Sunrise to about 10:00 are the calmest on the water. The closer you get to noon (the latest I've rolled off the boat) the rougher the seas and greater the sea traffic.

As for where, you are thinking in the right general area. Out of respect for the captains I don't mark their favorite spots they take us to but I can say we are usually half to 3/4 mile off shore and anywhere from 1 to 5 miles south of the Jetties. You can find teeth anywhere out there, but there are definitely spots where there are greater concentrations of teeth.

If you haven't done teeth hunting before it may well be worth taking one or two charters just to learn what to look for and how.

Venice Dive Charters are my favorite, mostly because the crew and I really hit it off. Captain Nick, mate Dave and DM Ben have become my friends and we stay in touch all year long so I think I charter with them mostly to hang with my buddies. My wife says its an expensive date but I tell her that per capita it's cheaper than taking her to dinner! LOL.

Anyhow, VDC offers a two tank morning dive and I always have a great dive even if I come up empty handed. I believe VDC has just added a midweek afternoon dive as well. Haven't given that one a go yet, though.

I have also dived with Top To Bottom Charters. I liked them alot because they are a 3-tank dive and their approach and site selection is different than VDC. Not better, not worse, just a different flavor. I can say I found my biggest meg with TTBC.

Best of luck and please, keep us informed as to how it all goes!

Been on a dozen or so charters out of Venice to look for teeth over the past couple of years. Most of the dives were in the 25-35 foot range. Only had one hit 40 feet.

My first suggestion is to pick your day carefully for the calmest seas and best clarity. Storms are needed to shift the sands and reveal the most teeth. However, the length of time it takes after a storm for the clarity to return can be measured in days or weeks. So take that into account.

From a charter perspective they want to shoot for 8 or more foot visibility. Where I'm from (Vermont) I consider anything over 18 inches to be crystal clear so for teeth hunting I'd be happy with 4 feet or more vis.

If calm seas are important to you, you will also want take a good look at the surf reports for South Jetty in Venice. This will give you a very good idea as to the swell, chop and wind expected for the day you want to go. I am susceptible to mal-de-mer and I am physiologically unable to vomit so I cannot afford to get seasick. So I use the surf reports to find a morning with an offshore breeze and seas less than 1.5 feet. That's the next best thing to glass. So that knowledge, combined with meclazine, has prevented me from getting even the slightest touch of mal-de-mer.

Might I also recommend an earlier start to your diving day. All the charters I've been on have been sunrise starts. Sunrise to about 10:00 are the calmest on the water. The closer you get to noon (the latest I've rolled off the boat) the rougher the seas and greater the sea traffic.

As for where, you are thinking in the right general area. Out of respect for the captains I don't mark their favorite spots they take us to but I can say we are usually half to 3/4 mile off shore and anywhere from 1 to 5 miles south of the Jetties. You can find teeth anywhere out there, but there are definitely spots where there are greater concentrations of teeth.

If you haven't done teeth hunting before it may well be worth taking one or two charters just to learn what to look for and how.

Venice Dive Charters are my favorite, mostly because the crew and I really hit it off. Captain Nick, mate Dave and DM Ben have become my friends and we stay in touch all year long so I think I charter with them mostly to hang with my buddies. My wife says its an expensive date but I tell her that per capita it's cheaper than taking her to dinner! LOL.

Anyhow, VDC offers a two tank morning dive and I always have a great dive even if I come up empty handed. I believe VDC has just added a midweek afternoon dive as well. Haven't given that one a go yet, though.

I have also dived with Top To Bottom Charters. I liked them alot because they are a 3-tank dive and their approach and site selection is different than VDC. Not better, not worse, just a different flavor. I can say I found my biggest meg with TTBC.

I'm looking to do one of these trips. Can you tell me how often rare teeth/fossils are found?

Hello everyone, I'm taking a buddy and his girlfriend out of Venice Laguna on a personal boat to look for shark teeth. The idea is to go out in about 30-40' of water just south (around Sharky's pier way). We are all certified, will leave one on the boat while two go down. Probably the end of August this year, arrive at 10am, dive two tanks and keep our fingers crossed for good weather and luck.
Any recommendations? Any better areas than others?
youre going to get hooked! the more you go the better you get!

I'm looking to do one of these trips. Can you tell me how often rare teeth/fossils are found?
On any given day someone comes up with a noteworthy find. Really depends a lot on the diver's ability to observe and pick them out. For example I am really good at seeing tiny, high quality jewelry teeth while my buddy is great at seeing hidden 1 to 3 inch teeth.

Most dives we see be several high quality 2 and 3 inch teeth and frequently one greater than 4-inch. Only one or two dives I recall everyone getting skunked including the DM.

Haven't seen a full mammoth or mastodon tooth yet.

my biggest to date is a partial (75%) 4.75 incher. I have found full horse teeth and a half dozen excellent 1-1/5 inchers.

Keep in mind it is called hunting, not gathering, for a reason.

Been in the uk this is not even on my radar but feel I have to say that your reply here was very interesting and informative, I bet it’s great fun, (I actually used to guide in public aquaria and after a while found it very easy to find ray and shark teeth for the kids, great fun) 👍

Not sure if it applies but IIRC a fossil permit from the state may be needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom