Twinset storage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyLitigator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've started a Tec class and am considering buying a twinset, either 100s or 117s (the LDS will rent them). Here is my issue. I can maneuver them from the shop to the car, and the car (with harness) to the boat, with some difficulty. But I just have no clue about how to get them in and out of the house (up a few stairs with no railing, garage not really an option). How do folks on here deal with twinsets?

Hand truck & bungee to prevent tipping

Between car and bench or boat, I wear my backplate with the tanks attached, as you are doing. If they're lying on the ground, and I need to move them a long distance over level ground, I often use a hand truck. Stairs are tricky. The only way I'm aware of--other than a special hand truck with stair-climbing wheels--is to, again, wear them attached to the backplate. No railing?--that sounds a little dangerous.

Never put them on the ground. Alway carry with a plate on my back. If balance in stairs is an isse, a cane/pole can give added stability on the way up.

20 years ago, twinned 8” 130’s were all the rage with the tech divers in south Florida. Fill Express used to be on Dixie Highway in Pompano Beach, and watching these guys wrestling with their tanks was always a little amusing.
I’d always offer to help them get their tanks out of the shop and back into theirs cars, and no one ever said no. Those babies were heavy and awkward, even a little for me.
Twinned 117’s are still pretty heavy.
If you’re going off the beach in SoCal with them, you’ll get into the water ok, but that climb out and back up the beach will be tough.
Twin 100’s are way easier - smaller diameter, length, and weight.
Weigh your options carefully, and good luck out there.

Spend more time moving them until they get easier to move.
^^^this.

I'm to the point I can throw a set (double 100's) up on my shoulder like a bag of concrete and walk off the boat. I'm not a big guy either. Mostly though I try to keep them on the back plate and never set them down.. if I do I sit down in front strap up and kind of roll over.

99% they're either on a cart at the shop, a table or in the vehicle. If you can avoid setting them down that's the ticket.

20 years ago, twinned 8” 130’s were all the rage with the tech divers in south Florida. Fill Express used to be on Dixie Highway in Pompano Beach, and watching these guys wrestling with their tanks was always a little amusing.
I’d always offer to help them get their tanks out of the shop and back into theirs cars, and no one ever said no. Those babies were heavy and awkward, even a little for me.
Twinned 117’s are still pretty heavy.
If you’re going off the beach in SoCal with them, you’ll get into the water ok, but that climb out and back up the beach will be tough.
Twin 100’s are way easier - smaller diameter, length, and weight.
Weigh your options carefully, and good luck out there.
Gonna have a long talk about SAC rate and recommended size before pulling the trigger. Have now done two days diving in steel doubles with full tec equipment (minus the cam light which is in transit). Those suckers are heavy, and propulsion takes is harder.

Back
Top Bottom