Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on; that is no help...I did watch it...looking for specific input from divers on forum of suggestions on how to temper or improve diver response in the event of a DCI ...not being a wise guy; like all divers I have skin in the game, my well being...if the specifics are not forthcoming, so be it...I don't beat dead horses.. :cool:

@InWay2Deep on post #366 pretty much summarizes the gist in that video.

From the start we were talking about this group of clowns that nearly killed their friend. They then blasted an insurance agency for not fixing their screw up immediately and completely. As divers, we need to know what our emergency plans are when performing potentially dangerous dives. As tech divers, we need to know the signs of DCS and seek help before we seek out a BBQ. These 2 clowns provided a perfect example of what not to do when dealing with DCS and that is what I am getting at.

An insurance company, that's what DAN is, should provide the service you pay for. They are not miracle workers though. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I won't drop my coverage because the benefits far outweighs the cost. I also don't dive in remote locations doing stupid first or one-off dives while dehydrated and pushing the limits.
Unfortunately, I can give only one reaction.
This post should be made a sticky.

Boy did you come to the wrong place….*

*This page 39 of a discussion about one incident and the video.

Would you like a straw to go with your horse juice?
Good one! And humor does not escape me....
From the start we were talking about this group of clowns that nearly killed their friend. They then blasted an insurance agency for not fixing their screw up immediately and completely. As divers, we need to know what our emergency plans are when performing potentially dangerous dives. As tech divers, we need to know the signs of DCS and seek help before we seek out a BBQ. These 2 clowns provided a perfect example of what not to do when dealing with DCS and that is what I am getting at.

An insurance company, that's what DAN is, should provide the service you pay for. They are not miracle workers though. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I won't drop my coverage because the benefits far outweighs the cost. I also don't dive in remote locations doing stupid first or one-off dives while dehydrated and pushing the limits.
Boarderguy,

Many thanks for a cogent post which is appreciated.

Agree with your points 100% and like was stated by another forum member your post should be a sticky.....I have been hustling my butt off trying to re-think and revise/update my personal emergency plan...most recently finally nailing down LifeFlight for a confirmation that with their fixed wing I can expect a requested a cabin altitude pressurization of "close to sea level" pressure...living at 3,900 feet and diving at 4,300+ feet....gaining elevation is not an option after a DCI...not a tech diver [no overhead diving, nor mixed gases or RB for me been there moved on] but with my age and many decades of diving, much of it hair ball deep, my chances of a DCI are enhanced..

Anyway, thanks for the meaningful input from the forum....it gets the juices flowing and hopefully re-orients me in a post LEO-FAST/DAN diving emergency management framework to a more succinct, effectual pathway to planning for "what if"...

Out-Here,,,,,

Good one! And humor does not escape me....

Rich,

Many thanks for a cogent post which is appreciated.

Agree with your points 100% and like was stated by another forum member your post should be a sticky.....I have been hustling my butt off trying to re-think and revise/update my personal emergency plan...most recently finally nailing down LifeFlight for a confirmation that with their fixed wing I can expect a requested a cabin altitude pressurization of "close to sea level" pressure...living at 3,900 feet and diving at 4,300+ feet....gaining elevation is not an option after a DCI...not a tech diver [no overhead diving, nor mixed gases or RB for me been there moved on] but with my age and many decades of diving, much of it hair ball deep, my chances of a DCI are enhanced..

Anyway, thanks for the meaningful input from the forum....it gets the juices flowing and hopefully re-orients me in a post LEO-FAST/DAN diving emergency management framework to a more succinct, effectual pathway to planning for "what if"...

Out-Here,,,,,
I'm not Rich.

20230209_170659.jpg

Agreed. Nobody gets on a rebreather without doing their checklist first (or if they do, they probably won't do it for long/too many times before disaster strikes). The same "checklist-style" process can be attributed to planning dive trips by identifying expected conditions, hazards, notable points of interest, lodging, proximity to fills, spare parts, supplies, surface support, location of emergency services and their contact information, emergency contacts (2+, preferably not two who are frequently together - stands to reason if one is unavailable the other will be as well, at the same time), ensuring insurance information is readily available (saved in phone, provided to emergency contacts, written hard copy in dive gear/wet notes, etc and telling your buddies/dive team where they can find said information), contacting DAN ahead of time to find out what chambers are in the area, calling or otherwise contacting those chambers to make sure they're open & accepting divers...

calling or otherwise contacting those chambers to make sure they're open & accepting divers...
May I add, especially if you are planning a dive that has an increased chance of decompression illness (ie not an OC rec dive), or in a remote area or not a common dive destination...you need to find out where you're going and how you are going to get there.
I deal with emergency planning daily, and one of the things I train my workers is to plan for the worst. What if this particular thing happened, what are you going to do? Take a bear for example, if I have 2 workers who run into a bear, or are attacked, I ask them "what do you do?"
Go back to the truck and call security.
"Okay, then what's the number for security?"
It's xxx-xxx-xxxx.
"Okay, have you called it to make sure it's active/someone knows what to do/someone knows the area you're in? What happens after you call security? Wait around and watch? Or leave without pointing to whoever show up where the bear is?"

The point is, being in a non common area like this particular instance and expecting everything to work the same as if you are in a popular area like Cozumel is just one of the considerations you need to make as a diver who is in that situation. Cover your ass. Picking up a phone and calling and talking to someone typically only costs your time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom