Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They almost need a 'case officer' assigned from the initial phone call that can be reached immediately until treatment starts to help navigate the intake/transportation process.

That is certainly a possible solution.

Regardless of the reasons and explanations and recollections given from both DAN and the DT guys, the fact remains that the ball was dropped and some procedures need to be improved on.. Whether that is the divers are modifying their own ERP (have more than just "Call DAN" in case of emergency), and DAN revising their response procedures as well, especially in non common dive areas.

Regardless of the reasons and explanations and recollections given from both DAN and the DT guys, the fact remains that the ball was dropped and some procedures need to be improved on.. Whether that is the divers are modifying their own ERP (have more than just "Call DAN" in case of emergency), and DAN revising their response procedures as well, especially in non common dive areas.
Regardless of whether you like Dive Talk or not, this is a conversation that should be had. DAN procedures can be improved and diver expectations of what they can expect can be tempered.

Regardless of whether you like Dive Talk or not, this is a conversation that should be had. DAN procedures can be improved and diver expectations of what they can expect can be tempered.
DAN procedures were improved almost immediately. Diver response must also be improved and that is on us.

DAN procedures were improved almost immediately. Diver response must also be improved and that is on us.
Rich and Boarderguy;

You guys lost me....what exactly are you alluding to when you say diver's should "temper" what they expect and "diver response must be improved"...thanks...

tempered: adjective
"limited or controlled, or made less extreme"

improved: adjective
"having become or been made better"

hope this helps... :wink:

tempered: adjective
"limited or controlled, or made less extreme"

improved: adjective
"having become or been made better"

hope this helps... :wink:
Funny......vocabulary lesson notwithstanding; while I agree the ball is in our court [divers] I really am interested in specifics on how we can improve on our emergency plans and responses in the event we suffer a DCI. The suggestions of others is solicited and welcomed but the devil is in the details. Thanks. :cool:

Funny......vocabulary lesson notwithstanding; while I agree the ball is in our court [divers] I really am interested in specifics on how we can improve on our emergency plans and responses in the event we suffer a DCI. The suggestions of others is solicited and welcomed but the devil is in the details. Thanks. :cool:

Then, watch it.

Then, watch it.
Come on; that is no help...I did watch it...looking for specific input from divers on forum of suggestions on how to temper or improve diver response in the event of a DCI ...not being a wise guy; like all divers I have skin in the game, my well being...if the specifics are not forthcoming, so be it...I don't beat dead horses.. :cool:

Rich and Boarderguy;

You guys lost me....what exactly are you alluding to when you say diver's should "temper" what they expect and "diver response must be improved"...thanks...
From the start we were talking about this group of clowns that nearly killed their friend. They then blasted an insurance agency for not fixing their screw up immediately and completely. As divers, we need to know what our emergency plans are when performing potentially dangerous dives. As tech divers, we need to know the signs of DCS and seek help before we seek out a BBQ. These 2 clowns provided a perfect example of what not to do when dealing with DCS and that is what I am getting at.

An insurance company, that's what DAN is, should provide the service you pay for. They are not miracle workers though. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I won't drop my coverage because the benefits far outweighs the cost. I also don't dive in remote locations doing stupid first or one-off dives while dehydrated and pushing the limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom