Blue Steel 7/8 UNF (narrow neck) manifold problems with PST tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TL;DR: the Blue Steel 7/8" UNF manifold currently being sold by Piranha Dive Mfg does *not* fit on 3500 PSI Genesis / PST tanks without significant machining of the valves! Read below for the nitty-gritty details, but unless you're comfortable machining the brass of your valves, be *very* careful before you buy this manifold. Below I outline the process I used to grind down the o-ring land to allow the valve to fit.

I recently picked up some PST HP120 true-3500 PSI steel tanks with the narrow necks cheap. (Thanks @Tracy !). The official name for those threads are 7/8" UNF. These are not the standard, wider (3/4" NPS) tank necks. The tanks were configured as single tanks, and I want them as manifolded doubles.

Until recently, there were few options for doubling these tanks -- and all of them sucked. However, Piranha Dive Mfg. has recently started selling Blue Steel manifolds for these tanks with all of the features of a modern manifold: radially-sealed isolation crossbar (with 3 o-rings) with 215mm spacing that supports standard high-gauge 7-1/4" tank bands, and at a reasonable price. The only used HP120 tanks I have been able to find are all 7/8" tanks. I had previoulsy sworn off the narrow-neck tanks because of the miserable manifold, but with the availability of a new, modern manifold for the narrow tanks, I decided to take the plunge.

When I installed the new valves, I found that there was a roughly 1/8" gap between the bottom of the valve and the top of the tank, but the valves were not able to screw on any farther. You could see the o-ring filling the gap. This did not seem right, but I couldn't do anything about it, so I went on to complete assembling the doubles. I then went to fill them, and an o-ring extruded, releasing the gas. OK, then: I tore everything apart again and replaced both neck o-rings, this time with 90-duro. Reassembled everything again, and started a fill. This time, *both* o-rings extruded!

OK, so something is clearly wrong. I then closely compared the Blue Steel valves with the valves that came off the tank.

Here's a photo of the neck of the original valve:

OriginalValve.png
(All images are thumbnails: click to see a larger version.)

Notice the area above the threads: the o-ring land. There is clearly a bit of a groove above the threads.

And now here's the Blue Steel valve:

NewValveBefore.png

It's neck is exactly the opposite: there is a healthy shoulder of brass above the threads. And sure enough: the valves will only tighten until that shoulder hits the top of the tank. The o-ring stays mostly outside of the tank lip, and when the pressure gets high enough (something like only 1000 PSI), the o-ring blows out.

So, it's clear that that shoulder isn't supposed to be there... So what do we do about it? My options were slim: I don't want the old-style manifolds, and the only modern manifold I can get is the Blue Steel. So we're going to need to make the Blue Steel work by removing that extra material.

One problem: I don't own a lathe, and I wouldn't know how to use it if I did... So what can I do instead? How about using a drill to spin the valve, and a file to remove the material. So after some brainstorming, that's what I did.

First I bought an adapter fitting: 7/8" UNF-F to JIC-4. In fact, I bought this one. This allowed me to screw the valve into one side, and put the other side into the chuck of a 5/8" drill. I then used a vise to grip the stabilization handle of the drill. I used a hose clamp around the trigger to give me a relatively slow, consistent rotation, and plugged the drill into a strip so I could use its switch to turn my makeshift lathe on and off. I initially started with a quite slow speed, but ended up increasing it to something in the neighborhood of 200 or so RPM.

NewValveTapedUp.png

I removed the dip tube and valve wheel. I then taped up the valve with 3M Blue masking tape: all the openings, as well as the flat bottom of the valve. The idea was to try to save the chrome on the bottom of the valve. I shingled the tape on the bottom to try to keep it stuck on the valve, but with only limited success. I also tried 3M Heavy Duty shipping tape (clear packing tape), but it wouldn't stick to the valve well at all. I thought about using Gorilla Tape (which is like heavy-duty duct tape), but I ended up not.

I then pulled out a bunch of files to see what might work. I started with some smaller 6" files, but in the end they were too narrow. 12" files ended up being the right thickness: I would recommend simply using those. I only used the thin edge of the file. I also applied masking tape to the broad sides of the file, again trying to save the chrome on the bottom of the valve. Here's what that looked like:

TapedFile.png

The right edge of the file is bare of tape, and that is the edge I used, placed against the shoulder as it rotated in the drill.

I actually started with a hacksaw with a fine-tooth metal blade, again taped on the sides. I found that this worked well to get the brass right up against the bottom of the valve without chewing up the bottom of the valve. But be careful: it can cut deeply and quickly. Make sure you don't go too deep with it!

Speaking of that, how deep do you need to go? I used a cheap digital caliper on the original valve to find that the o-ring land was 19.5mm. The Blue Steel shoulder was 23 or so mm. So I needed to remove 2mm or so of material: which certainly felt like a lot! I took my time and checked my depth frequently and eventually worked down to the right depth. I would start with the hacksaw to create a groove right up against the valve base, then use the file to get down to the same level, back and forth until I got down to 19.5mm.

SandPaperFile.png

I then taped a piece of 200-grit sandpaper to the bottom edge of the file and used that to smooth the machined area. The edge of the sandpaper is right at the right edge of of the bottom, such that it will only sand the *bottom* of the land, not the side (the part that's shared with the base of the valve), again in an attempt to save the chrome on the bottom. I wasn't worried about polishing it, just getting it smooth and a bit shiny.

Wow, a time I *didn't* hit the 10,000 character limit -- but I hit the 5-photo limit... So, on to the next post.

Here's the result:

NewValveAfter.png

You can see that even with my attempts to save the chrome on the bottom, it didn't really work. I ended up re-applying the tape to the bottom of the valve like 3 times total but even with the tape on it would wear through the tape on the outer edge anyway, and by the end I just gave up. But the o-ring land area is now the right size: there's room for the o-ring to fit on the valve and the valve can now screw all the way down into the tank.

You'll notice that there is still a small lip left right at the bottom of the valve. I couldn't get that any flatter without just attacking the bottom of the valve, and I didn't want to do that.

I then repeated this for the second valve. I didn't bother to put tape on the bottom of the valve this time, and basically lost all the chrome from the bottom. But seeing as the most important part to keep is the outer edge and that's the first part to go, it just wasn't worth the effort. Filing went faster this time: I knew more of what to expect so there was less back-and-forth between the hacksaw and the file, and I could cut a little more confidently.

By the way, here's a photo of the hacksaw blade taped up:

HackSawBlade.png

Like the file, it's taped on both sides. The edge to the left in the picture is exposed: you can see the teeth if you look closely.

Once I completed the filing and sanding for this valve, the valve still would not go all the way onto the tank. In this case, I think it might have been because I cut a slightly narrower band this time (again, a little more experience), but I think it was mainly due to the fact that the last thread was not cut as well on this valve: there were toolstop marks and other visible flaws. So I used a small triangle file and filed down the valley of the last 1/4 of the last thread. Once again, I went slowly, and after 3 or 4 attempts I was able to get it to screw down all the way.

With both valves bottomed out, it was time to put everything back together. Clean up the valves, put the dip tubes and valve wheels back on, put on a new o-ring and reassemble the valves, manifold and bands -- for the third time...

I then filled them up to 3000 PSI: no issues. So far, so good. I've left them there for now. Next time I go out that way I'll fill them back up, this time as high as I can go, which should be about 3800 PSI or so, and it should be 3800 PSI *cold*. I'll make sure that they hold at that pressure for some time -- multiple *days* at least. But the initial experience seems successful for now.

So, I now have a new-to-me set of HP120 doubles I can use. I will definitely want to keep an eye on these tanks for a bit: I'll use them a few times in open-water or recreational shipwrecks before I take them into a cave... :) But assuming they continue to function as they are right now, at least I have a functional set of doubles that use a modern manifold and tank bands, for about 60% the cost of new.

Is that savings worth having to machine brand-new valves to get them to fit? Honestly, probably not: had I known I was going to need to do that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have. However, now that it's done, hopefully I can forget I ever had to do that... and I won't fail the obituary test...

Anyway, to wrap this up, a few other photos. Here's my whole hillbilly lathe:

HillbillyLathe.png

It's not the best photo: I was more interested in getting it done than quality photography... The stabilizer handle comes out of the top of the drill on this model, and that's clamped into the vise. The fitting is in the chuck, and the valve is screwed into the fitting. The drill rotates such that filing tightens the valve, not loosens it. This never really tightened the valve, but it ensured that the valve would not come off the drill. Notice the hose clamp on the trigger.

Here's the fitting:

Fitting.png

Wow, gotta clean my nails! :) (It's garden-planting time here.) The big female part is the important part: 7/8" UNF. The other part just needs to be small enough to fit in the drill chuck.

NewValveOnTank.png

And here's the valve after modification installed on the tank. Looks like every other valve -- and that's what I was going for! :)

Hopefully this writeup might save someone from running into the problems that I did. I explicitly do *NOT* encourage or suggest that anyone else should do this. This is a mea culpa, not an instruction guide. Please do not modify high-pressure valves! These posts are for entertainment only, etc. I take zero responsibility for any use or misuse of this information or of any valves you may have!

ETA: Here's a question: Did anyone besides PST ever make true 3500 PSI 7/8" UNF tanks? I know of no one else, and even if someone else did, I'm certain PST made a lot *more* of them than anyone else. If that's the case, then what tanks exactly did Blue Steel make these valves for? Did they even bother to test them? I would really like to know how they expect these valves to be used... @tbone1004 might know... but I sure don't.

YOU MODIFIED A SCUBA TANK VALVE! YOU WILL DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH IN A BALL OF FIRE!

I like it. Not 100% sure it was faster than driving over here and using the lathe. But it is done and looks good. Did you send these pictures to Randy? I wonder if he is aware the valves have changed.

Thermo still makes 7/8 manifolds the last time I checked.

Its ONLY available as a manifold set, not individual valves.

Neat! But why didn't you simply have a machinist do this for you? After all, they have all the neat machine tools, and the experience, for doing this kind of thing.

rx7diver

Neat! But why didn't you simply have a machinist do this for you? After all, they have all the neat machine tools, and the experience, for doing this kind of thing.

rx7diver
You don't consider a drill, JIC adapter, file, and a hacksaw blade neat machining tools?

Expertise be damned, this is resourceful.

Last time I went to the scuba lathe guy with some delrin rebreather bits he machined the wrong faces backwards

I love you man!!!💘💘💘💘💕

Looks good! Did you chat with Piranha about the issue? Out of many companies, they seem to be the ones who'd provide a solution in a timely manner.

I like it! Shame you had to go through it, but man that's a good feeling when it's done.

If I lived close to @Tracy I would have stolen a set of his 120's and left yours with the manifold in there spot... he would never know😁

Back
Top Bottom