Info Impact of a drysuit flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inquis

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Based on a recent thread regarding a balanced rig, a question arose as to just how much buoyancy is lost when a drysuit floods. It just so happens that I wanted to directly measure my trilaminate drysuit buoyancy while wearing my Fourth Element Xerotherm+Arctic undergarments (together) before I take a trip to Lake Michigan. (Knowing this makes it easy to be correctly weighted with various combinations of gear I use, whether that's a single AL80, single LP85 steel, or double versions of either; AL or steel backplate or sidemount, etc.) Mission accomplished: wearing just the suit (lofted with my normal amount of air, exhaust wide open), I needed 31 lb of lead to be neutral.

For any dive, I want to be weighted such that I am neutral with an empty wing & about 1 lb of air in the tank (about 500 psi in an AL80). (If I need to use that reserve air, I can breath shallow and still remain neutral.) For a cold-water, single-tank dive, I would use my LP85 steel tank. Because the steel tank, stainless backplate, lights, etc. partially offset the positive suit buoyancy, I only need an additional 16 lbs of lead to be neutral at the end of the dive. However, if I am neutral at the end, I will be about -7 lb at the beginning of the dive (the weight of the non-reserve gas in my tank), so I put a bit of air in my wing to compensate. The positive wing and suit buoyancy exactly balance all the negative equipment/lead/gas, by design. This is what I consider "properly weighted" (though I concede that it's useful to be a couple lbs heavier in some situations).

I had a bit of time left... so I opened the zipper underwater and completely flooded the suit. I mean COMPLETELY, making sure no air was left. I then removed the belt... and stayed right there on the bottom. With a fully flooded suit, I had the same buoyancy that I have in a swimsuit alone -- basically neutral. However, that means before dropping that weight belt, I was negatively buoyant by 31 lbs and could not have kicked to the surface. If I were on the above dive wearing this suit and both suit and wing were to completely fail, I would be at -38 lb (suit + gas).

So can I get out of this pickle? Dropping my 16 lbs of lead would be a good start (net of -22 lbs now). I carry a 6 ft DSMB that conveniently develops about 22 lb of lift (taking me to neutral). What if I lost the DSMB? (I would actually carry 2 for such a dive.) Honestly though, I would try to salvage some buoyancy out of the wing and/or suit by putting the damaged portion lower in the water. I expect I could become positively buoyant without too much trouble. If not? Well, that's one reason I like to dive with a solid/capable buddy. Their fully-functioning wing is only supporting 7 lbs of gas weight, leaving plenty to help drag my unlucky butt to the surface.

My initial desire for this post was to simply report that I lost the entirety of my suit buoyancy when it was completely flooded. However, this being the Basic Forum, I decided to illustrate some of the thinking I feel a drysuit diver should undertake. (A similar issue is faced by wetsuit divers, so don't ignore all this -- you'll lose buoyancy due to suit compression at depth.) What are the ramifications of your equipment choices? Can you deal with a wing failure? Can you deal with a total suit failure? What options -- plural -- do you have if they both somehow fail? Do you even need ditchable weight at all? Is it safe to ditch ALL your lead (without inducing an uncontrolled/runaway ascent)? Play the 'what if' game from the comfort of your chair.

If you haven't seen it, I strongly urge you to check out the Optimal Buoyancy Computer. That is a tool available for download that was created specifically to explore this topic, and my heartfelt thanks to @rsingler for that. It's certainly useful to help pin down the amount of lead you need, but having insight into how much of that can/should be ditchable and additional backup buoyancy required may well be critical someday.

It seems to me that you are over thinking it. Yes, it is technically possible that you lose your drysuit, wing, smb, lift bag, and anything else you may have all at once. However, that is EXTREMELY unlikely if you are maintaining your gear. With a properly balanced rig, your wing will get you to the surface without your suit, and vice versa. You can always get a double bladder wing if you are really concerned.

I'm not concerned, even if both fail. I agree, if only one fails, the other can easily compensate, and the odds that both fail are supremely low. The post was to prompt others to think about their own particular situation and consider whether *they* have a balanced rig. Cheers!

Something else to consider is that if your suit completely floods at depth in Lake Michigan where the temp is approximately 40F/5C the whole year around, cold shock and then hypothermia becomes the controlling issue. You likely only have a couple of minutes before small motor coordination is lost so whatever you need to do to start your ascent has to happen quickly.

Very interesting! Thanks for challenging this assumption of mine, testing and reporting back. I was under the impression that it would still supply some lift from the soaked undergarments, but it sounds like I very much overestimated that. I still maintain that a complete suit flood and a complete wing failure is very unlikely, so it's not really an issue when you have redundant buoyancy and a balanced rig, but it's definitely good to know. Maybe this supports a case for more ditchable weight in certain situations/environments.

To lose both your BCD and completely flood your suit probably means your were run over by motor boat prop. You will bleed out with a couple of minutes... Drop your weights and hopefully it will make body recovery a little easier.

You have three layers of redundant buoyancy, dry suit, wing and ditchable weights. The only question I might ask is, does your wing have enough lift to get you to the surface without ditching any weight? Ditching weight at depth is bad news because you lose control of your ascent.

Having tried this in a real T2 dive, al be it, just the flooded drysuit, I can say that a 40lb wing will float a winterdressed/leaded diver with steel D12s, 3 stages and a drysuit full of water.
The challenge; 4c water…
The real challenge… getting into the boat with water up to you nipples in the suit!

I have also completely lost wing function when my dumpvalve decided to pop whilst going down a ladder in a single file overhead scenario. All buoyancy was moved from suit to wing to avoid floaty feet. Start of dive. Steel D18s. So when the OPV completely popped all buoancy was lost. The only solution was one extremety in all for corners of the mine shaft and «climb» down, and inflate suit when horizontal again. My buddy found the opv and fixed the wing. Moral of the story; choose buddies wisely and make sure all things that can be screwed are properly screwed!

The likelyhood of losing both sources of buoyancy are slim to none.

My experience, with the exeption og the odd extreme dive, a standard drysuit diver with a wing will be just fine if one fails and they chose the right choice. (To end the dive)

@CT-Rich i've had it happen without a boat involved. tore the neck seal then tried to use the wing to compensate but then the inflator hose fitting elbow somehow cracked and fell off of my rental xdeep wing. no ditchable weight since I was running HP doubles and a steel plate. had to use smb and some finning to keep it together.

i've had it happen without a boat involved. tore the neck seal then tried to use the wing to compensate but then the inflator hose fitting elbow somehow cracked and fell off of my rental xdeep wing. no ditchable weight since I was running HP doubles and a steel plate. had to use smb and some finning to keep it together.
@runsongas,

Thanks for this real-life example of what can happen. This is precisely why I used an Al back plate and solid Pb on a weight belt when I wore my 3,500 psig PST HP100 doubles or HP120 doubles. (Extended range diving in fresh water in a drysuit.) Absolutely wanted ditchable Pb.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom