Reef Dive or Baited Shark Dive off Palm Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to get into a debate over the shark feeds--I tried to give a view of what to expect and Halcyondaze is a veteran of these dives so his description is good for you to consider also.

And, let me echo Halcyondaze on the turtles. There were a surprisingly high number of turtles for this time of year on my most recent dives. Seeing 5, and good, close, long sightings, on a single reef is not typical even in the summer peak season. It's unusual for this time of year. Regardless of how I feel about shark feeding dives, the presence of turtles, if that is a "big animal" you like to see, would weigh strongly in favor of adding reefs to your trip and not concentrating solely on sharks.

There are several places within reasonable proximity where there is a good likelihood of seeing sharks, close up, without feeding them. Providenciales, Turks and Caicos is one example. My son and I saw Reef Sharks, some of good size, nearly every dive off West Caicos and French Cay.

Even closer than that, Shark Canyon and Tunnels of northern Palm Beach County have a respectable number of Caribbean reef sharks. Those are regular spots for most of the dive boats. There's also a good chance of spotting bulls and lemons at other local sites besides the feeding spots; Governor's Riverwalk tends to be pretty sharky and the Princess Anne was bull shark central last February. I've heard of lemons turning up around the Mizpah as well.

HalcyonDaze, MG-111 is a very reliable site for lemons as well, with the benefit of 60' depth for longer dive time.

As HalcyonDaze indicated: Tunnels almost always has reef sharks on it, year round. Some will swim pretty close to divers as well. Tunnels also has two small schools of goliath grouper with about 6 members in each school that live on the reef year round as well: one group is near the beginning or the south end of the dive and another towards the north end or a bit past mid-dive for most divers.

Did the two tank dive on Saturday January 30. First dive was the wreck trek. Visibility was 20 to 30 ft and temps were 73 deg. Saw quite a few Goliath grouper. The shark were at the edge of visibility coming in and out. Think that they were reef sharks.

Second dive was at Area 51. Bottom time on both dives was 45 minutes. Nice dives overall, not to mention plenty of space on the boat. Can't wait to go back.

Shark dive! The winter months are ideal for shark diving and it's very likely to see tigers and hammerheads this time of year. We saw a dozen bulls & lemons plus two tiger sharks yesterday. Save the reefs for the summer during turtle nesting season.

Mike, who did you go out with for this dive? What sites did you see the sharks on? I've got dives scheduled with Jupiter Dive Center, Narcosis and Jim Abernethy this week. Would love to see a Tiger.

Mike, who did you go out with for this dive? What sites did you see the sharks on? I've got dives scheduled with Jupiter Dive Center, Narcosis and Jim Abernethy this week. Would love to see a Tiger.
That day was with Emerald Charters (scubaworks.com) and their usual sites are the deep ledge and the ESSO Bonaire Wreck. Calypso (calypsodivecharters.com) and Florida Shark Diving (floridasharkdiving.com) will also get you close up with sharks. Jim's boat was at the wreck on Thursday too; I just don't know how often he goes there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom