Trip Report Jupiter Dive Report 10-13 August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update!
There is really no way you can plan for the proper exposure protection. This time of year we can have strong thermoclines and they can vary hugely in a short period of time.

Several years ago did a dive in 90 or 100 and the top was 86 degrees and the bottom was 50-52 degrees, would be good guess. The lobsters were almost completely immobilized and I suffered tremendously in a 2 mm suit with thin hood for probably 40 plus minutes.

Within 2 hours in the almost exact same spot, the current rushed in and it was 83 on the bottom.
A week ago I had mid 50's in maybe 110 ft in WPB.
Yesterday, buddies were diving in bathing suits in 75 degrees (I was wearing on the second dive), a 5/3 hooded vest under my 3 mm one piece suit.

Was 75 in wpb at 100 yesterday, green water, 30 ft vis, no current on bottom, some on top
So is all the chatter about near 100 degree water on Florida's Atlantic coast just media hype?

To the OP: Thanks for your report!

So is all the chatter about near 100 degree water on Florida's Atlantic coast just media hype?

To the OP: Thanks for your report!

Wrong location. That’s down in Florida Bay which is bayside in the Keys. Shallow confined water. That’s NOT along the Atlantic Coast in Southeast FL. The surface waters there have been quite warm but we’re talking mid to upper 80s. West side Gulf Coast surface waters are very warm. Mid to upper 90s. Also surface waters don’t equal temps at depth this time of year along the southeast coast.

It's taking a 'dot point' of data and blowing it up into a "Crisis Scream'.

Let me explain............
Last year NASA brought on line the new "GOES-EAST" super high tech weather satellite. It's huge,,, it doubled the forecasting accuracy(?) from 5 days to 12 days for hurricanes, ocean data, and zoomed in resolution. It's much 'good-er', but not perfect. ALL of this new mountain of data is publicly searchable almost in real time.

One of the sensors on the GOES-EAST is the new-generation Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) sensor. It shoots infrared beams onto the top 1 millimeter thin depth of water, which returns Sea Surface Temperature (SST). It can't READ underwater !!. It's very similar to those hand held, dot beam, temperature guns you can buy in Walmart that measure's your child's forehead or the pavement and reads the temperature. The ABI satellite sensor at high noon on a broiling full sun July day beating on a calm ocean slick will even return a single ocean dot point temperature of 150 degrees !! The media & eco-nuts then run with this single dot point as a headline cause it profits from ad revenue & donations.

So the BEST temperature readings come from actual real divers who post reports right here on ScubaBoard. They actually are in the water. Those people publishing shocking crisis stories??? Ask them if they are even dive certified, because they are not. They've never even dived in the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom