Review Key Largo Diving on Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing worse than having to take a dump on a boat. I get up crazy early on dive days to "get things moving" to avoid this exact issue. I find it literally one of the worst things ever! Thankfully it's only happened to me once or twice on charters with really long rides out (Channel Islands in CA and wrecks off Morehead City NC). Those were very large boats though and it was manageable.

On a related experience, on the Olympus boats in Morehead City NC, a boat rule covered in the briefing is NO USING THE TOILET WITH DIVERS IN THE WATER!! Their toilets discharge overboard, at least they used to. Well, my buddy and I were on the mooring like doing our safety stop and noticed chunks of brownish flotsam floating by. Yup, you guessed it. Some bonehead had ignored the briefing and that sacrosanct boat rule. Did a super thorough gear rinse and shower after that charter!!!!

I am less of a fan of South Florida diving (Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter). Reefs are barely existent, but sea life can be good - lobsters, turtles, nurse/lemon/bull sharks, and Goliath Groupers.
Breakers has some beautiful healthy reefs with lots of fish.

Any comments and experiences with Silent World in Key Largo appreciated. I'd hate to dive with a DM and be told to surface after 25 minutes with 2K in the tank (at 30-35 depth). Silent World states they keep the number of divers/snorkers down on their boat.

Any comments and experiences with Silent World in Key Largo appreciated. I'd hate to dive with a DM and be told to surface after 25 minutes with 2K in the tank (at 30-35 depth). Silent World states they keep the number of divers/snorkers down on their boat.
I dove with Silent World quite a few years ago and had a very good experience. This was 2008, however. Best bet is to contact them and state your concerns. My experience in the Keys is that ops limit you to 60 min and there is only a requirement to hire a guide if you don't have a buddy or if someone in your party is OW and the depth of the dive, such as the Spiegel, compels it.

+1 for Horizon Divers, too, as other have mentioned.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom