Crystal / Rainbow River ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive the Rainbow River aka The Blue Run almost weekly back in the seventies. I had a friend who lived on thew Withlacootchie River and had a pontoon boat. He'd take me upriver and up the Rainbow River as far as we could go. Then I'd drop my "rig", a mud anchor with a rope attached and several clips near the end. I'd clip it so the anchor hung about fifteen feet below the boat and then I'd sit on it and fly downriver at a fast walking pace.

If I saw something that I wanted to look at, I'd unclip the anchor, follow it down and carry it while I looked at whatever. Sometimes, after a full drift downriver and into the Withlacootchie, I'd talk him into going back up again so i could do it again. I never saw any Alligators in the Rainbow River (to cold) but I did see quite a few once I drifted down into the Withlacootchie.

We're planning a trip back there this winter and I plan on diving several of those Springs.

If us Florida divers are Wearing Socks,,,,,,,,It's COLD !!!

Your family is having an Epic Vacation Trip. It was great to meet up with you Rob !!
View attachment 816787
It was AWESOME meeting you!
That’s fantastic, I’m so glad you went - Amigos is an experience!! I love taking folks there for fills.

We just missed you, we were at Ginnie on Tues (and yes by Florida standards it was COLD!!!). Keep us posted on your trip!
Amigos was very cool.. the owner (can't remember his name), very cool guy. Was happy to help and even gave us a few tips about where to go.

Ginnie was fun.. I wish the sun was out, but other then that it was good. My only regret is not getting there earlier.

We opted to skip Rainbow River yesterday. At Ginnie my 14 year old got cold in his brand new 5mm wetsuit, the granddaughter got cold in her wetsuit at the surface, so instead of leaving them out we decided to head to my in laws in Lilian AL (which was always the plan, just after Rainbow). My son screwed himself. He suited up first, jumped in to play and then got out and it was 65 out. By the time we all got in he was already chilled. He didn't even get to see the cavern (although I think he was scared and I wouldn't want to force him to do sonething).

How "sad" is it that this was the clearest water I've ever dove in.. by a long shot. It was like diving through glass. They said the back of the cavern is 120? and I could see it from the entrance clear as day.. pretty amazing.

So I'm shooting for a shore dive in or around Pensecola and if that goes well jump on a boat and get in a real dive.

Anyone have an idea what the ocean water temp is now?

Looks like the surf temps at Pensacola Beach are 66 ° right now
That's what google had to say too... a bit warm if you ask me!🤣🤣🤣

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom