Trip Report Spiegel Grove double dip first-timer dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to share my dive trip experience from a tourist's angle, following up on my previous post. So here it goes:

Weather: We tried hitting the water on Feb. 10th, but the weather was not ideal and the boat trip got canceled. Gave it another shot on the 11th. The weather was still rough, with some light rain and 6-foot waves. Not much wiggle room on our end, so we just went for it. The boat ride was okay, but as soon as we stopped, a lot of people started feeling seasick.

Configurations: We went with Horizon Divers for our dive, on a recommendation from some local buddies. I was diving AL80s tanks filled with 31% nitrox, a 3mm rental wetsuit, and sticking to the usual single-tank recreational dive setup.

Condition: Visibility underwater wasn't exactly perfect, hovering around 30-50 ft. The current was blowing towards the southeast direction, weak in the first dive but became noticeable in the second dive. The tide seemed high and my dive computer read a bit deeper than the maps said. The water was ~75 F, and we were shaking at the end of our second dive. I'm definitely going for a thicker wetsuit next time.
Vis was meh

Dive time: The first dive was about 41 minutes at an average depth of 23 meters. We had some decent SAC rates. I entered the water with 2900 psi and climbed the ladder with exactly 750 psi left. We maxed out our NDL. There's a time constraint and we ended up having only 40 minutes surface interval. My dive computer was quite conservative. In the second dive, we hit the NDL pretty fast and did an 8-minute decompression stop at 5 meters. Ended that dive with over half my tank left after 33 minutes.
The stern

Navigation: We were self-guided and aimed to explore as much as we could. The dive boat was tied to mooring line #4, which is in the middle of the wreck. Without penetration, the navigation is mostly straightforward. But it is embarrassing that we got mixed up with the cranes on the wreck and ended up at the next mooring line #5. Had to do a short surface swim back to the boat. After reading the map again, we didn't have any problem navigating the second dive. I marked our trajectories below.
The two dives we did.

The crane, where we got confused.

Marine life: Saw some cool marine life like tiger sharks, barracudas, and a goliath, though it wasn't that big. We are happy.
Very interesting marine life.

What I loved: The dive site was far from boring. Lots of swim-throughs and potential for penetration with the right gear and know-how. Even staying outside the wreck offers plenty to see in two dives. We're definitely coming back better prepared next time.

What wasn't so great: The upper 60 feet has literally nothing to see, especially with the visibility being off. Plus, the second dive didn't really feel worth it due to the NDL. A longer deco dive would've shown us more cool stuff than two shorter dives.

Tips to tourists:
1. Not a dive for inexperienced divers, even with a guide.
2. Check the weather before you go.
3. Read and try to memorize the wreck's map, and discuss the navigation plan with your dive guide (if you hire one). Will enhance your experience a lot.
4. Double dipping within a 4-hour time frame is simply not ideal, better to do one longer dive (if you are trained to deco).
5. Nitrox (we paid 30 for 2 dives) is totally worth it.

. We had some decent SAC rates.
On AL80's,,those usage stats are very good for that dive site.

Neat; hadn't heard of tiger sharks at the Spiegel Grove before. Any idea whether Horizon Divers offers tanks larger than 80-cf also? That is a really deep, fairly 'square profile' style dive, or at least can be, and a lot of people aren't that good on gas consumption rate. Either gas or NDL remaining could limit the dive time.

Richard.

Neat; hadn't heard of tiger sharks at the Spiegel Grove before. Any idea whether Horizon Divers offers tanks larger than 80-cf also? That is a really deep, fairly 'square profile' style dive, or at least can be, and a lot of people aren't that good on gas consumption rate. Either gas or NDL remaining could limit the dive time.

Richard.
They have doubles

Doing a double dip on the Spiegel is probably one of my favorite dives in the Keys. I've done it about 6 times now over the last couple years. If you have the training, doing it as a deco dive is the best way to see the ship IMO. I always use Horizon, and have dived it with Jeff and Bobby when he was still there. Those guys really know every nook and cranny of the ship and we were able to see some cool parts of the Spiegel outside of Snoopy (and that was cool in and of itself).

Bobby when he was still there
I thoroughly enjoyed my dives with Bobby on the SG. Has he moved to another operator?

I thoroughly enjoyed my dives with Bobby on the SG. Has he moved to another operator?

Last I saw he had moved to Indiana to work for another shop. Sad to see since he was a great diver and guide.

Good feedback from a first-timer. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like you did pretty well, but my general recommendation for other Spiegel novices who might be reading this is to spend the extra few bucks to hire a guide ($40 is the current guide cost at Horizon). I think this is well worth the money, and I've gotten a lot out of diving with guides, even after diving that wreck many times. Most tourists will not take the time and care you did from a dive planning perspective (and even that resulted in a bit of a mistake on your ascent - not knocking you at all, it's a complex site! :)).

If you are coming back, I'd suggest also exploring the Duane and Eagle, which are equally interesting sites and serviced by Horizon and others (sometimes as an alternative to Spiegel due to conditions or other factors).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom