Diving to 200' and Beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@benno, & others, thank you for your comments. Benno, your profile identifies Germany, which is exactly what I was wondering - at some time, some place were there individuals (perhaps not many) diving similar profiles as she. They are just mostly gone (and sadly forgotten) now, in our age of excellent resources & technology. (She wears no drysuit; and her mother and aunt are 96 & 98 yrs old, so she may be older than my guess of 65-70). I felt talking to her & diving with her was a privilege.

i think If I met such an amazing woman during a Dive vacation ... I would have asked Her Name... My 2 Psi

Diving to great depth on air is stupid.
What counts as 'great depht' and why is it stupid? Is that what you PADI instructor told you?

...especially coming from people that have been flaming others as being unsafe divers...
Doing 3 hours cave dives with stangers and doing unknown circuits is dangerous a because you're in a cave. Starting deco training at 30 dives is dangerous. I have tried to explain why this is dangerous.
Doing a 50m dive on air is standard with some agencies and has been standard practice for many people and many years. It's just not for you.
You don't understand the difference? Do you an have an argument?

So CMAS divers, BSAC divers and police divers are stupid... LOL... maybe you should offer courses for those 'stupid' people.

What counts as 'great depht' and why is it stupid? Is that what you PADI instructor told you?
Sorry to disappoint, I'm CMAS trained as well.

Should I add as well that deco after less than 30 dives is almost exclusively done by agencies à la BSAC, CMAS.ch, FFESSM ? Which are, AFAIK, main parts of CMAS?

Edit: Wops, BSAC seems to not be in there anymore but have some equivalencies?

Last edited:
What is a stupid depth for air? What is your basis fo the comment

CMAS has a bunch of agencies, you're probably with one of the PADI style once.

What is a stupid depth for air? What is your basis fo the comment
Look it his profile. It says Rescue and less than 100 dives... at this point I believed my PADI instructor too, I really did. A few year later I bought a book, met people and learned about diving beyond what you're being told by PADI/SSI.

I'll let the master continue to promote safe diving :rolleyes:

So what counts as 'great depth'? What's your background of experience that you can judge what's stupid?
When I was 'flaming' I was always giving a explanation.

If you tell us. I and other masters can educate you or recommend a book.

Bennno what you are saying is crap... I'm a CMAS **** diver (started in 1990, when I was 14 years old). My uncle is a *** CMAS instructor, his instructor card was signed by J. Cousteau himself. I did all my initial training with a 1 stage mistral aqualung regulator...and the pool and theory sessions started in september and lasted until May next year before you even did your first dive. It was all focused on in water comfort and what I like to call circus-acts in the pool (sharing a tank with 6 people, breathing a tank without regulator, etc etc) but had not much to do with actual diving. Depending on what kind of certification you were doing you needed to perform out of gas emergency ascends from 40m. Meaning take your regulator out at 40m and ascend. My 11th dive was to 48m (as a 14year old). I'm just telling you this so you understand that I'm coming from this world.

Let me explain why this is crap. Because there is something called progressing knowledge! When I started they just stopped practising ascends with feet first. Sounds silly now right, well they thought this would reduce DCS. In 2001-2002 they finally stopped the emergency ascend apnea tests because too many people were geting pulmonary barotrauma injuries doing these tests for Belgian CMAS certifications.

-You can't compare these "old school" training with technical training it's comparing apples and oranges. Technical training is much better at teaching technical diving then any of these old school recreational certs.
-This old school training has in most cases progressed as well. My cmas card says I can dive to 2 PPO² on air, but nobody with this old school certification will still do these kind of dives on air. That's just plain silly and luckily most understand this (only the old dinosaurs don't).
- It's not because you had some "old school" training that you are less likely to suffer from narcosis or oxygen toxicity. I know an old school diver (a dinosaur), who got badly bent on a deep air wreck dive and was lucky to be flown to the Toulon marine facility because it's one of the only places were they can give you hyperbaric treatment using heliox tables instead of the standard us treatment table 6. He was paraplegic when he went in.

I wish all the best to this lady, and I'm sure nobody is going to change her, she is probably set in her ways. I would love to drink a glass of wine with her and talk about all the nice dives she's done... but thinking she's a safe diver because she got some Cmas training in France in the past is just silly. She has just been lucky and has had normalisation of deviance on her side so far.

Ok, so non of you jokers can tell me where 'great depth' starts? Nobody said do with on tank.

@beester
Ok, so let me get this straight. You do a 3 hour cave dive with someone that you have just met in a dive shop because you think all GUE divers are amazing divers, but a 55m dive in air in gin clear, warm water with no current is super dangerous. That's some logic you got there.
So a bunch of people in this thread said in good conditions this dive is OK... now beester is here to teach all of us morons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom