Diving to 200' and Beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here (water temp at the moment about 5°c) also mostly membrane regulators. Combo of apeks (ds4-xtx40) for stages and scubapro membrane regs (mk17-G250) as main. Only problem I had with any of these was a mk17-G250 starting to freeflow... couldn't find the issue, after a second test dive... I checked it fully and found a very very small pinhole in the membrane... causing water to leak into the reg, causing a freeflow.

I put her down in my "cool and eccentric" column, and I hope that we never read about her in the accident reports here. Somehow, I doubt we will...

Agree. I hope that is my legacy. I wouldn't try what she's doing, but when I go, if I am doing something cool and eccentric, I'm good with that. I don't really care if anyone else thinks it's a good idea or wants to emulate it. Your problem, not mine.

Bragging about one's experience and speaking paternalistically to people she meets about their "baby dive" is not "cool," in my opinion.

And old people are paternalistic and condescending. I probably am too. Many scuba divers brag about their experience. Not a big fan of those traits -- they aren't cool -- but what she's doing is cool (and eccentric) IMO.

Well, keep in mind this thread is a conversation, about another party's conversation, where one of the participants in the original conversation is not participating in this conversation to explain what she meant or the context of what the conversation was about.

You bet. It's all hearsay. My comments refer to a hypothetical French woman with a big ego.

I got the sense from the OP's repeated descriptions that she was indeed bragging and putting down the "baby dives" being done by others. Of course, I am just interpreting, but let's say it's true. In that case, something does not seem right. I think someone who has the deep diving experience she has, someone who sees it as routine, would not be inclined to talk about it that way.

In the play Death of a Salesman, the main character (Willy) is continually bragging about his exploits, but he is usually lying. In one scene he talks with Bernard, the grown childhood friend of one of his sons, and as Bernard is leaving, Willy learns from Bernard's father that Bernard is off to argue a legal case in front of the supreme court. Willy is stunned. He says something like, "And he didn't even mention it!" The father says something like, "He don't have to talk about it--he's gonna do it!"

The diver in this thread sounds a lot more like Willy than Bernard.

My guess she is an excellent freediver. With these ‘scuba dives’ she is doing a combination of breath-hold diving with scuba and occasionally sips from her tank. Perhaps she thinks having a pony is conservative..? Considering she has dived for decades and lives for diving it is likely she has had close calls already and is now very comfortable and confident in the parameters she has set for herself. Certainly her level of risk tolerance is different than most.

Let's not understate the importance of familiarity of the dive site. Familiarity leads to comfort. It also leads to complacency of course...

I can only speak of my personal experience, but because I tend to dive in Tobermory a lot (I have had a place there for 32 years) I am guilty of diving the same sites a lot. I suspect I have 350+ dives on the Arabia alone. A popular deeper wall dive is at the site of the Lady Dufferin. There is wreckage in the shallows (30' - 90') followed by a vertical wall that drops from about 90' down to 180'. From there, there's a steeply sloping bottom down to very great depths, with more wreckage.

I would say I dive that site 15 - 18 times each season. Almost always, I bottom out at 175' to 180'. I am on air, but wearing doubles with some sort of deco gas slung in a 40. I don't normally feel any narcosis whatsoever. Normally... but not always. The odd time I do feel narc'd, I would call it a dark narc. I feel uneasy, so I bugger off upward and within 15' to 20', I'm right as rain.

Typically, my bottom time is about 15 - 18 minutes, followed by a leisurely trip home, for a total run time of around an hour. I always have more than half of my gas supply left.

Anyway, my point is that I feel 100% comfortable on that dive, 99% of the time. Others who are perhaps diving there for their first of second time might feel otherwise. It's usually very cold, fairly dark and sometimes there are strong currents.

I imagine that this woman feels about the same way regarding her dive.

Here are a couple of images from the Dufferin Wall. The distant shot is at about 160' and shows most of the vertical wall. The second is at about 170'... basically the bottom of the wall. From here, it's a sloping bottom down to well over 400'. And yes, people have died here.

Dufferin Zsoldt SM deep DSC_0356.jpg
Dufferin Zsoldt Bottom SM © DSC_0341.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom