Future Of Worthington Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also understand that the equipment used to make Worthington steels (deep draw) are completely different than that used for aluminium (reverse extruded) and are incompatible to each other.
They are. I watched a video on the making of both aluminum and steel scuba tanks a few weeks ago. The steel tanks start out as a disk of steel that is progressively bent into a cylinder in 3 or 4 steps, the aluminum tanks start out as a solid cylindrical blank that is put into a hydraulic press which extrudes the hollow cylindrical tank in a single operation. I always like watching how it's made type videos.

Here's the aluminum tank process (Catalina):

And the steel tank process (Worthington):

Aren't there laws against this sort of thing? I'm surprised.
Against buying a company specifically to liquidate it and make your own factory/products more competitive? Happens every day.

Against buying a company specifically to liquidate it and make your own factory/products more competitive? Happens every day.
US DoJ can stop that for anti-competitive reasons under certain conditions, but not sure on the details. And if you are not a US company then they can't really do much.

There is no shortage of cylinder manufacturing companies. It would be like one grocery store buying another adn closing the doors. As a general rule you must control 75% of the market before being considered a monopoly.

Whatever happened to hymark? They made some AL3000 cylinders for a short while. I have a Al40 of their's but haven't heard of them in awhile.

Norris has been in and out of the market since the 1970s but after their last exemption tank fiasco we are better off without them IMHO.

Worthington bought Hy-Mark and operated it for a few years. When Worthington decided to close its steel cylinder plant in Canada (scuba & industrial cylinders) it sold its aluminium cylinder plant to THunderbird LLC, which is still making scuba cylinders

Back
Top Bottom