Future Of Worthington Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if they will bring back their tanks sometime in the future. I see that the company itself seems to be doing well and I also know that scuba cylinders are a small part of their market, but they seem to be in demand.

Making a modestly priced item that lasts a LONG time is not the ideal business model.

If memory serves, there seemed to be 2 'issues' tank manufacturers faced:
cheap Chinese competition
stricter environmental standards (which I think killed off the hot-dipped galvanized steel tank production, at least in the USA)

hard to say if it makes any sense for Worthington to get back into the aluminum tank market, given the presence of Catalina and Luxfer. I'd like to see them back in the niche market for the hot-dipped galvanized steel tanks, just hard to say if that market is justified as those are premium priced tanks, so mainly higher end $ divers would spring for those. That being said, new steel Fabers can run close to $ 500 each, and I think Worthington could certainly charge at least what Faber does, as the hot-dipped are a superior tank, so it may just be too small a market and/or environmental regulations these days are just too onerous.
I just ordered 2 used X8-130 HP Worthington's (10 yrs old) but brand new hydros/great shape with convertable valves....with freight I'm paying $ 409 each, but I'd rather have these than brand new steel Fabers !

Last edited:
The plant that made the steel tanks in Canada has been closed and HP tanks are being made in Austria but not scuba. The Mississippi plant still makes aluminum tanks as far as I know. I work for Worthington here in Ohio

The plant that made the steel tanks in Canada has been closed and HP tanks are being made in Austria but not scuba. The Mississippi plant still makes aluminum tanks as far as I know. I work for Worthington here in Ohio

It's just seems weird Worthington is in the Aluminum scuba tank business when that market seems abundantly supplied by the likes of Catalina and Luxfer, who have dominated that market for many decades, yet abandon a market for the premium hot-dipped galvanized scuba tanks where they were the ONLY supplier (as PST went under).

Steel tanks were not profitable for the company

Steel tanks were not profitable for the company

Judging by how divers now seem to value old Worthington steels, perhaps they were underpriced?

I have been told by a friendly shop owner that they are worse at passing hydro. I don't know if that's true. For backmount, I love my Faber HP100s, and definitely wouldn't swap them for Worthingtons. They're a good few pounds lighter, and closer in shape to the standard AL80.

I can't remember all the details, but many Worthington tanks (and PST as well, I think) were "exemption" tanks that followed a special set of hydro rules that many hydro shops weren't/aren't aware of. If you hydro those tanks using the normal method you'll fail far more frequently than by following the DOT-approved method for those tanks. Properly-hydroed Worthingtons should last nearly forever.

The difference between most Fabers and Worthingtons is the Worthingtons are hot-dip galvanized which increases their weight and their negative buoyancy in the water. This makes them better if you need more lead.

Judging by how divers now seem to value old Worthington steels, perhaps they were underpriced?

But how much more would people pay for a HDG cylinder versus a painted faber? Would you pay 700 versus 350 for a faber? i think the market has spoken that there just aren't enough divers who own their own tanks that dive locally to support more than one manufacturer of steel scuba tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom