Scubapro MK2 vs MK16 cold water choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al303

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone. I've been diving a while now with a slung 19cf bailout bottle with a Scubapro MK2/R380 without any issues. I love the fact this setup is a very simple non-balanced design, easy to work on, and near bulletproof.

My questions for those that know more about Scubapro than myself is: Is this an acceptable back-up regulator in waters as cold as 40 degrees? I have access to a MK16 with T.I.S. in like new condition, I'm considering a switch to the MK16/R380. Keep in mind, I am not looking for the easiest breather at depth(MK25), only the most reliable in cold/colder water. I would really hate to give up my MK2 if I did not have to. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input/comments/flames/ect...

Al

The MK2 should be fine. I'm not much of a cold water diver but I know that the MK2 has a great cold water reputation. It's a completely different design than the balanced piston regs and its quite a bit more freeze resistant.

What you could do is get a 109 metal case 2nd stage. Those are among the most freeze resistant 2nd stages ever. You can find them for $40-50 or so, which is an amazing deal considering what SP charges for the A700.

I never had any problems diving those temps with my old MK5/109. Of course the regulator faired better than I did!

Here in MT we are consistently diving in cold water which ranges from the mid 30s to high 40s at higher elevations. During the summer, when the temps finally reach the 50s above the thermocline and mid to high 40s below it, the students use the Mk2 with no issues. Many of the advanced students use the rental Mk2s during the deep dive where the water temps are in the high 40s and they too have had no problems.

Your Mk16 with T.I.S. (Thermal Insulation System), in my view, is a better choice for diving in colder water. Why take the chance? Especially if you have access to it. There is an upgrade kit for it. The next time you have it serviced be sure to have it changed out if it hasn't been already.

Your 380 second stage should be fine with either first stage. We use it on our rentals.

You don't have to lose your Mk2. Set it up as a backup reg or possibly a loaner ( I don't like letting people use my nice regs) or use it as a practice reg in the pool.

Your Mk16 with T.I.S. (Thermal Insulation System), in my view, is a better choice for diving in colder water.

I don't think there's any evidence that the MK16 has better cold water reliability than the MK2. The TIS is just a coating on the spring, and if the OP's MK2 is even remotely new, it also has the TIS stuff. The MK17 is a sealed diaphragm, but not the MK16. The ambient chamber is still exposed to the water.

The second stage has a lot to do with freeze resistance and the metal case of the 109 provides an excellent heat transfer to keep it from freeze-flowing.

I don't think there's any evidence that the MK16 has better cold water reliability than the MK2. The TIS is just a coating on the spring, and if the OP's MK2 is even remotely new, it also has the TIS stuff. The MK17 is a sealed diaphragm, but not the MK16. The ambient chamber is still exposed to the water.

The second stage has a lot to do with freeze resistance and the metal case of the 109 provides an excellent heat transfer to keep it from freeze-flowing.

I don't disagree with your point on the Mk2 vs the Mk16. Nonetheless, I would feel more at ease with the Mk16 in colder water. I dive with the Mk25 during the winter (water temp in the 30s) and have not had any issues.

I completely agree with your comment regarding the second stage. I've seen many people not take it into consideration when diving in cold water.

One thing I have noticed is people get advice from warm water divemasters / instructors and will take their advice over a cold water diver when it comes to choosing equipment. Two examples: a group of people who went to Bonaire were informed to invest in a nice first stage but don't need to invest that much on a second stage; another group went to Hawaii and were encouraged to buy a particular regulator while on their trip. That particular reg did not handle the cold water very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom