Need input regarding 1st Regulator Set.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go with Scubapro MK25, MK19 or Mk17 for first stages and any of G260, s600, s620Ti or A700 second stages. You should also consider Atomic regulators too. Since you are connected with Germany, Germany has the best facilities to service Scubapro and Atomic equipment.

Hello folks,
I follow this blog since a few weeks and I'm really impressed about the great input you give. After over 200+ dives with (sometimes funny) rental gear, even finishing my dive master in Komodo I finally want to buy my own gear. As rental gear is pretty wacky at times - I did not have a great expectation regarding special features.
I will start my IDC in Indonesia soon and need some reliable gear for the next 1000+ dives

I'm currently sitting in Germany heading out for Indonesia so after comparing prices I think it's a good place to buy the gear as in Indonesia there are some shipping costs & taxes. I watched hours and hours of comparisons of different regulators but still cannot decide between the hundreds of different options.

What I search:
- reliable Regulator which does not fail me
- environmentally sealed
- future proof regarding serviceability, especially in Asia
- mostly doing warm water dives but if spending the money i would like it to be used in cold water possible too
- Nitrox EAN 40 compatible
- balanced
- not too heavy

This is my shortlist:
Scubapro MK25 / A700
Aqualung Leg3nd Elite
Apeks XTX 200

Do you have some input regarding those models ? :)

Greetings,
Andi
Hello. The Subapro MK19 and D420 second stage are on sale in Scubapro's Amazon on line store for $629. I think it use to be over 900 bucks.

Aloha,

Hawaiian Brian

My wife and I just bought our own regulators as well, and went with the Scubapro MK25/D420 combination. Have done about 12 dives with them and they performed beautifully. The D420 is being phased out, so can get a good deal on them right now.

Hello Jhoujo 1,

If you buy from Amazon make sure you check the sellers rating. You are not buying from Scubapro directly. You can buy a Package deal MK19 25 and D420 for $629

Aloha,

Hawaiian Brian

Hi, yes good idea to buy your gear before flying to Indonesia. Because of import taxes, regs and BCD, ... are often more expensive. If you want to compare prices, have a look at Bali Dive Shop prices.
After your IDC, if you plan to travel around in Asia and work as a freelancer, I would recommend you to go for a basic model such as Aqualung Calypso : Reliable, easy maintenance and spares available in Asia. Later on, when more stable, this reg will be perfect as a deco reg.
Most tanks are Yoke in Asia, but I would go for a DIN reg with adaptor, because a yoke reg sucks if needed for deco.

Hello Jhoujo 1,

If you buy from Amazon make sure you check the sellers rating. You are not buying from Scubapro directly. You can buy a Package deal MK19 25 and D420 for $629

Aloha,

Hawaiian Brian
Brian,

We got ours off diver-supply.com. Most dive gear sites have been selling the set op at a discount. Good advice though regarding Amazon.

Thanks!

I don't think the d420 would be a good choice. It is on its way out before most techs have any experience with them. Parts are expensive and may be difficult to come by. There's a reason prices have fallen so dramatically over the past few years since introduction. An Atomic or a more conventional Scubapro design would be a better choice.

I don't think the d420 would be a good choice. It is on its way out before most techs have any experience with them. Parts are expensive and may be difficult to come by. There's a reason prices have fallen so dramatically over the past few years since introduction. An Atomic or a more conventional Scubapro design would be a better choice.
I'm hopeful that servicing them won't be an issue. They breathe absolutely beautifully on dives.

I'm hopeful that servicing them won't be an issue. They breathe absolutely beautifully on dives.

If you can't find somebody to service them properly, check with @rsingler, he is a top expert in these regulators :)

They service very easily indeed. They're just different. And they do breathe like a dream, at least in the standard diving position.
And while I wouldn't pay $900 with a Mk25 in a stock paired set, a Mk11 and a D420 purchased separately are $690. Add a hose, and that's a pretty reasonable price for Scubapro quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom