Regulator opinions welcome for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s a debate between the well-known brands(Scubapro) and the new direct to consumer brands that take a more user-friendly approach to service and sales(DGX, Deep6, Edge/HOG). The former makes solid, if not expensive gear and discourage DIY service - but you can get it serviced anywhere, but the quality of the tech is a wildcard. Here in NorCal, Scubapro is all over, and serviced in-house by the shops I go to. The latter offers more value for the buck - a nice set of Deep6 environmentally-sealed diaphragm first stages with their Signature seconds can be had for $600ish and they’ll throw in a service kit for the first service and you have the choice to send it back to them or DIY it if you’re comfortable. And I know the founder of Deep6 is on here too. The major brands defer you to the LDS, and if they’re so concerned about the “small guy” but sell their gear at scuba.com(Adorama) and enforce minimum orders for shipping, well…

Ultimately do what’s comfortable for you - I’m not above buying used gear either in good shape. My recommendation - if your LDS has a well-maintained fleet of gear and offers higher end gear, rent out a few things and try it out.

5. Buy the best you can AND you will it buy again. Seriously I have a pile of gear I bought not cheap and replaced later.

(as I look at the pile of Scubapro MK11s (including two MK11ts), the ScubaPro/Halcyon MK 17/H-D50s, the Apeks XL4s, the SP G260s, the Atomic B2/ST1s ... Not to mention the metric ass ton of tanks...)
Lol we’re trying not to scare him. I have a pile of good **** too

I am in Ohio and plan to dive some quarries, starting with my exit dive. I plan to travel as well. The elite covert is one that popped up when I found myself down a scuba rabbit hole. I am good on the can of worms for now. My dive computer and regulator research and such is keeping me busy.

I'm sure you have more opinions than you bargained for. Which quarry in Ohio will be the place for your certification dives? If you're going to Gilboa, there will be lots of people you can talk to about regulators. Some of them will talk your ears off.

Back
Top Bottom