Regulator opinions welcome for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all… travel regulators are smaller with usually smaller mouthpieces. For a lot of people, they are first choices for overall regulators.

Used regs can be a good deal. A scuba instructor offloading a recent high end reg set can save $$$. I got my Mk17/C370/R095 +SPG for $400 with a fresh service.

That having been said, look for recent models instead of ancient versions that you cannot get parts for. Also know what you are looking for- 55F water probably doesn’t need a cold water reg, but if you intend to dive deep an unbalanced reg will quickly affect your dive enjoyment.

travel regs don't really save that much weight, but the smaller size can be beneficial if you have a smaller jaw size

used is fine if in good shape and you get it at a reasonable price that a service gets it back in good working shape

take a look at dive gear express if you want a package that is price competitive and don't mind having to mail it in for service if needed

I recommend the following:

Scubapro:
1. MK11/C370
2. MK 19/C370 or G260
3. Mk17/c370 (this option may not be available in the US)
4. Of course there are higher end SP models

Atomic Aquatics:
1. Z2
2. ST1
3. M1
4. B2

Zeagle:
1. F8
2. ONYX II

Aqua Lung/Apeks seem to have been going through very difficult financial times for a while now. I'd think very hard about buying from them before I do.

I wouldn't buy based on a hypothetical future in tech diving. If you go to Bonaire or Cayman with a back plate/wing, you are going to find the locals have no idea how to help you. You will have to rely on some other guest, who may or may not know what they are talking about.

Buy a good quality set that you know you can get serviced locally at home. ScubaPro or Aqualung are widely sold and serviced all over the world. Most shops sell their old rental gear online and if you talk to your local shop and say your are on a budget, they may hook you up with a deal on good used gear. I would avoid getting bells and whistles unless you have enough experience to get to know you need it and want it. Elbows and swivel are added failure points and after getting some experience you might like them, but you also may decide you don't need them.

The KISS principle is a good way to start diving. If you learn to dive with a minimalist rig, you can add features and complexity later.

I am currently getting open water certified. I need some help on equipment, particularly the regulator. Any input is appreciated. I do plan to travel and dive tropical but also local, so temps between 50F-85F would be my guess. I have read all kinds of reviews and threads with opinions but none seem to answer all my questions or cover what exactly I am looking for.
1) Do "Travel regulators," really make that much of a difference. I can't see the weight being drastic enough to need to go that route.
2) Stay away from used? Assuming well maintained should there be a cutoff, like 5 year old models?
3) I prefer to buy a package with everything (inflator hose, primary, secondary, alternative, SPG). If going that route what would be your recommendation.
4) I assume you get what you pay for. If you spend upfront, you don't have to replace, you upgrade. Having said that, I don't want to break the bank and would guess more middle of the road to bottom half price range. I knew it was expensive before I started, but want to be economical not cheap.
I appreciate your time and any advice.
@klinson8: Take a few minutes to read over this Scubaboard article I wrote a while ago. It's a good overview of the features and attributes of Regulators to consider as a new diver buying for the first time. It will provide some context and help you make a good buying choice.

I think the key for me is "can I get it serviced where I dive?" Sure, you can mail your regulator to a servicer. In your case, there'll be somebody in the USA that services any reg just about. However, when it's just got a minor free flow that comes and goes and doesn't need an overhaul, my LDS will do a quick adjustment on it while I wait. And if I'm the kind of customer that's in routinely and has my regs served there regularly, they'll do it for free. Even for overhauls, I'm diving often enough I make a point of asking when I can get it back. (Pro tip: Get your regs annual service in January in Ohio. They can probably turn it around in a day or two. If you wait until the diving high season, well, it might be faster to mail it in....)

Similarly, if you're diving for travel "can I get it serviced anywhere I go" is another question to consider. This is less critical, as the odds it needs work on a 2 week vacation are lower than during the 50 weeks at home. If I have a big trip planned, I like to make sure I've had my annual service done a few weeks before the trip, then dive it a few times at home first. Might not be possible for you....

My LDS services a lot of the bigger brands mentioned here, but won't touch Cressi. Another shop up the road will, but it's out of my way. The extra mileage is something you might want to factor in when choosing a brand.

I don't think age matters too much on the reg, if the company that built it still provides parts. (As the owner of a 19 year old pickup truck, I've discovered I can now only get a lot of parts at junkyards.) Scubapro seems to stand behind all the regs they've ever made as far as I can tell. Others I don't know about. I've got some old Mares regs that were donated to my lab, but they're so ancient I'm not sure they can be serviced. I just use them for demonstration in classrooms now. On the other hand, I've got a Zeagle first stage that's closing in on 40 years old and still going strong. (Not sure what I did with the second stage, but I also still have the console for the 40 year old reg, though it's now way down the depth chart on my list of equipment. Forty years ago there wasn't really a concept of a secondary second stage....)

As others have said, no need to buy top of the line gear. If you decide down the road you're going into tech diving, the cost of a top-shelf reg will be the least of your financial worries....

I recommend the following:

Scubapro:
3. Mk17/c370 (this option may not be available in the US)
Widely available in the US if you get the Halcyon version (H-50D - well, if you go DIN...)

If you will be diving Ohio's quarries, and in particular Gilboa, I would go for a cold water / environmentally sealed regulator as it reduces the possibility of free-flow caused by ice buildup. Boltsnap has set up a good list to begin your regulator search. Diaphragm first stages are less prone to cold water free-flow than piston first stages, so SP 11,17 and 19 are good choices for Ohio's colder locales. Aqualung / Apeks is unfortunately in a bit of a financial crisis at this time, so it may be wise to hold off on their equipment until things get sorted. I think you could also look at a Mares Abyss 22 Navy II, it is a great cold water piece. Travel regulators are generally lighter in weight, but rarely do they have the cold water accomodation. I would get a regulator that could be used for both cold and warm water diving. For your octo, an additional second stage just like your primary [eg. SP G260 x 2] is preferable for ease of maintenance and your ability to detect if the two are in tune.

Buy the cheapest balanced regulator from any established brand...
Agreed! Can't go wrong with the 3-4 major brands, and avoid the bottom segment (unbalanced) of each brand, as it might be limiting in the future. But also avoid the top segment in each brand, as it can be much pricier than necessary. The middle range within each brand is the bargain buy, hence the cheapest balanced reg of the major brands. Good advice.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have not noticed one bit of difference between my entry level Aqualung reg and octo and my ScubaPro fancy and expensive regulator. ScubaPro makes absolutely top notch equipment, but regs . . . save your money. The major difference that I noticed in upgrading from my first set was in the ScubaPro Hydros Pro BCD vs my Aqualung. Both work great but the Hydros ($$$) is another league of good. We travel all over the world diving and we bring our own equipment now, FYI, but at the beginning stage, there is no reason to spend big bucks. Most importantly, get a mask that fits you well and a good dive computer (I use a Shearwater Teric), and you can really just rent the rest of your stuff and see if you will get your money's worth out of more advanced equipment. I am hooked on my BC and ScubaPro NovaWing fins and Scubapro 3/2 Everflex wetsuit, so I take all of my gear. I am also a warm water diver, generally in Miami Beach, the Caribbean, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Red Sea, that sort of thing, so cold water (i.e. drysuit type water) performance is irrelevant, and I think that is where there is a difference in regulators.

As for a dive computer, let me save you time. Get the Shearwater Teric (there is a new model out but I know nothing about it). I have a review posted on the Board. it is without a doubt the best DC I have ever seen and excels in every single way that a DC can excel. plain English menus, rechargeable battery that lasts several days without charging, fully customizable display, uses a transmitter and can read two transmitters so I can keep track of my wife's air consumption as well as my own. IMHO, it doesn't get any better and easily doubles as a wristwatch when you are on a dive vacation. The Shearwater dive log program (free)is also excellent and you just connect the Teric to your computer or phone via Bluetooth and upload your dive info! So forget about wasting time on research. Get a Teric and don't blow money on an expensive regulator!

FYI, my entry level gear is gathering dust, so if you are interested, DM me. I've got an Aqualung BC and reg, Aqualung split fins, and an Oceanic VT-4.1 computer (no transmitter for it though).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom