Need help ! Buying first regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chanty75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, looking at buying my first regulator set. Came upon what looks like a good deal but would like your input on it. Newly OW certified, not a lot of experience and I dive in cold water in Canada. Seller says he bought brand new and used it once. I tried looking up the numbers but didn't find anything. What do you think about this setup ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_190923_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_190923_Facebook.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 86
  • received_1036618817572650.jpeg
    received_1036618817572650.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 69
  • received_1088390718991822.jpeg
    received_1088390718991822.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 71
  • received_1469018290332859.jpeg
    received_1469018290332859.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 83
  • received_707102227997659.jpeg
    received_707102227997659.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 83
Used it once in what decade? I'm pretty sure that model was sold from 1999-2008. The computer dates from the late '00s as well.

There's nothing wrong with old regs, but it will definitely need a full service which would run from $100-$150. I would also recommend replacing the octopus with something off better quality.

Frankly, unless it's under $100, I'd look elsewhere.

Titans are fantastic regs but that whole rig would need serviced and updating. An AL Legend 1st stage would better suit you in the cold water diving of Canada.

Titans are fantastic regs but that whole rig would need serviced and updating. An AL Legend 1st stage would better suit you in the cold water diving of Canada.

That is a Titan LX with the environmentally sealed first stage and it has the snowflake on the second stage. It is a capable regulator including cold water. The second stage is pneumatically balaned but does not have the breathing adjustment knob, just the Pre-dive and Dive lever. I have one exactly like it and it is a good performer and as reliable as the Rock of Ages. It is fully serviceable by any decent AL shop. The first stage internals are no different from current AL first stages, the second stage is easy to service and kits are available. This regulator rated the highest performance ANSTI category and was a best buy choice for Scuba Labs I think it was or something like that. The yellow Titan (not an LX) octopus is a simple downstream second stage, adequate for most purposes.

Consoles are so dated and non-cool and the octopus is a simple downstream second stage, adequate for sport divers.

$150 at very most. I would give nothing for the console because you need a nitrox capable computer instead, on your wrist.

Used it once in what decade? I'm pretty sure that model was sold from 1999-2008. The computer dates from the late '00s as well.

There's nothing wrong with old regs, but it will definitely need a full service which would run from $100-$150. I would also recommend replacing the octopus with something off better quality.

Frankly, unless it's under $100, I'd look elsewhere.
Thanks for your input. Appreciate it 👍 I'll keep on shopping !

That is a Titan LX with the environmentally sealed first stage and it has the snowflake on the second stage. It is a capable regulator including cold water. The second stage is pneumatically balaned but does not have the breathing adjustment knob, just the Pre-dive and Dive lever. I have one exactly like it and it is a good performer and as reliable as the Rock of Ages. It is fully serviceable by any decent AL shop. The first stage internals are no different from current AL first stages, the second stage is easy to service and kits are available. This regulator rated the highest performance ANSTI category and was a best buy choice for Scuba Labs I think it was or something like that.

Consoles are so dated and non-cool and the octopus is a simple downstream second stage, adequate for sport divers.

$150 at most. I would give nothing for the console because you need a nitrox capable computer instead, on your wrist. If that is a nitrox capable computer then, okay, maybe $200, I guess at the outside.
I missed the snowflake, thank you. I have a titan as my backup. It's a workhorse for sure.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. $400 is his asking price.​
$400 is very steep for that. It needs serviced which will run about $200 to have everything done I think. $150-200 would be a fair price considering its age and needing work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom