Question DiveRite XT2 vs XT4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first regulator and I'm honestly very nervous about it. I've done forty-some dives with various rental regs of varying quality and while of course some breathe harder or easier, I've never noticed enough of a difference to really have an opinion.

I'm looking at buying Dive Rite because both of my LDSs service them and I can buy the parts to DIY it myself, but I don't know much about the brand. What's the difference between the XT2 and XT4 second stages? Is there any difference other than the XT4 being newer and shinier? Is there any reason I should stay away from the brand? I think the cover on the XT2 is kind of ugly, is that a reason not to buy it?

Also, are mouthpieces swappable between brands and models? I'd rather buy online than pay the LDS markup but I don't know what kind of mouthpiece I'm signing up for and that's the one part I do have opinions about from my experience with rental regs.

Is there any difference other than the XT4 being newer and shinier?
XT4 has a smaller profile. Mouthpieces are interchangeable. I have XT4s and XT2's ... Both are fine regulators IMO.

Dive Rite makes great regs. The XT1 with XT2 second gets a lot of praise. Not sure I would pay very much extra for the new XT4.

Other regs you might consider would be the DGX Gears XTRA which also have service kits available to consumers.

I have XT1/XT2 and they work great. They’re used a lot for technical diving (what I use them for), so you’ll have no issues using them for recreational diving. Plus, DR has excellent customer service and the company is in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom