Buying 3 sets of regulators - Dive Rite XT1/XT4 or Atomic B2 / B2 Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks, schmooks.
Breathes better? Show me.
Cheaper to buy - true dat!
Cheaper to overhaul - also correct.
EDIT: Better DR customer service - currently also correct.

Long term total cost? Open to argument if you have to buy a second reg set at the 10 year mark. But who keeps regs that long except SB'ers?
Maybe I should add some context...

From what I gather, both options are better than my old Delta 4 (which is not working right now because the TDX 5 is putting out way too much IP). If this is not correct, and either is imperceptibly different from a Delta 4, please say so.

I've never used a high end regulator. Never had an Atomic or higher end Scubapro or whatnot. I've used Sherwood Brut, and Cressi, and low end Marrs, and Aeris, and other low cost rental regs.

I equate this to another passion of mine - marksmanship. If you've never used high quality optics, you don't even know what you are missing.

My wife is frustrated at the 1st stage problems with our old Oceanics and the LDS inability to fix them. I'm frustrated that we're using rental gear and we have to try out 2 or 3 regs before finding one that doesn't freeflow or have a broken purge or other major malfunction. My son is just happy to dive - he'd breath through a straw just to be in the water.

If the Atomics are as good as people say, I'm up for paying the premium. The Dive Rite package seems like a very good deal, but I don't want to save money on essential gear just to save money. This is scuba, I'm used to lighting piles of $100 bills on fire in the name of breathing underwater.

I don't really have a dog in the fight when it comes to piston vs diaphragm or sealed vs non-sealed. I just want to buy gear that works well, breathes easy, and doesn't give us any fuss (with annual or bi annual service) for a decade at least.

Let’s put it this way. Atomic is glorified Oceanic.

Another way, I can buy any reg on the planet for me and you and anyone else in this thread and not feel it financially. I’m also a ScubaPro dealer and was given a $4100 reg set. Price is no object. And all of my personal regs are Dive Rite.

Why? Because they breathe fantastically, customer service is as good as Shearwater, overhaul is easy and parts are cheap.

But if EVERYTHING was equal, I still wouldn’t support Huish (owners of Atomic)

And I’ve been an Atomic, Oceanic, Zeagle, Bare, etc, etc, dealer since they came on the seen.

I have Atomic M1 regs and have had Atomic Z2 regs. I also have Dive Rite XT1/XT4 and XT1/XT2 reg sets.

If cost is no object, and we're talking single tank diving, I'm going with Atomic.

I have an Atomic TFX ordered and it (with a Ti2 octo) will become my new single tank reg set. That is the "money is no object" option - and I have put my money where my mouth is.

Barring that, if I'm paying, I'm buying Atomic Z2, because they breathe the same as the B2 or M1. If I'm picking something out at the candy store, sure I'd pick the B2 over the Z2 (and the T3 over the B2 and the TFX over the T3). It'll probably never make any difference whatsoever, but, ON PAPER, the swivel turret on the B2 1st stage and the titanium bits in the B2 2nd stage COULD provide an advantage over the Z2 fixed turret and zirconium.

I like my Dive Rite regs just fine. If I didn't, I wouldn't have them. But, I would not say they are better than the Atomics. I would say they need service more often than my Atomics (which have actually never needed a service, yet).

I like the Atomic AFC feature. I like the wider exhaust tee option from Atomic that I had put on my Z2 primary 2nd stage. The Atomic Seat Saver feature sounds good on paper, but it makes no practical difference to me, so it would not be a discriminating feature to me in a purchase decision.

It's widely reported that environmental sealing for an Atomic 1st stage is messy and expensive. Well, it's not messy to ME. It may be messy to the service tech that does the work, but do I care? Service may be more expensive, but if I need it less often, then, again, do I care?

Customer service IS great with Dive Rite. I'm pretty much a DR poster child at this point. DR mask, fins, drysuit, regs, sidemount BCD, doubles wings, and a Choptima CCR. I like Dive Rite as a company and I like their gear. I would be completely fine if I could only own Dive Rite regs.

But, I do like my Atomic regs just a little better (for single tank diving - regs for tech is a whole other conversation, because Atomic does not have any reg for 100% oxygen use, and other tech-specific issues).

Let’s put it this way. Atomic is glorified Oceanic.

I think perhaps you may have meant to say that Atomic is evolved and improved ScubaPro...?

Didn't the two guys that started Atomic come from being engineers at ScubaPro? Or at least one of them? And he was not just an engineer, but specifically a regulator engineer?

All Atomic 1st stage regulators are piston design. Does Oceanic even make a piston regulator?

To be fair, I don't think @Superlyte27 was making a direct design comparison.
In the Huish stable of brands, there's Oceanic (somewhere near the bottom of my personal list) and then there's their "glorified" brand - Atomic.
No design comparison, just budget vs expensive in the Huish array: (in alphabetical order)
Atomic
Hollis
Oceanic
Zeagle
plus their accessory companies, Bare, Stahlsac and Suunto.

I think perhaps you may have meant to say that Atomic is evolved and improved ScubaPro...?

Didn't the two guys that started Atomic come from being engineers at ScubaPro? Or at least one of them? And he was not just an engineer, but specifically a regulator engineer?

All Atomic 1st stage regulators are piston design. Does Oceanic even make a piston regulator?

What he said ^^^^^

No design comparison, just budget vs expensive in the Huish array: (in alphabetical order)
Atomic
Hollis
Oceanic
Zeagle
plus their accessory companies, Bare, Stahlsac and Suunto
Of topic.
The only piece of kit I have from the above list is 3 Hollis masks [ 2x M1 and 1 M4].

AS to the OP question, Atomic is too expensive and Dive Rite is not seen here so neither would be my first choice Downunder.
Had a look at some US sites for pricing and Dive Rite would save you money over 3 sets, Atomic is priced better for you guys, and you say "If money wasn't a factor in deciding between these two choices", [in my dreams], toss a coin.

Here for 3 sets for family members it is Scubapro Mk 17 and C370 or [G260].
My 2 bubbles.

Edit: or G260.

As many know I work on Atomic regs so I am biased but a couple comment as to why I like AA regs.

Compare the profile of their second stages to others. They have lower profile than most all others. That was important for my spouse. Who wants have big old reg tumor on their face in a current?

The other part is that until the FTX all of the AA regs are interchangeable. That make spare parts a breeze. Further, their designs have remained stable over 25 years. None the first stages have change sans the piton update. The second stage case got a small change. Can not say they about another mfg.

So it is something personal for you? Is it because the Huish clan has a lot more money than you? Is it because Mr. Huish has a bigger and prettier hose than you do???
I hope you meant to say hoUse.

how the flooding situation there?

Back
Top Bottom