Soft vs metal back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve searched but haven’t found conversations on this, so I apologize if I’ve missed it. I’m close to buying my first BC system as an AOW diver with 70 dives - many in the Caribbean with some colder-water Pacific dives as well. I don’t plan to progress to tech diving, and I think warm-water travel diving up to 20 or so days a year is what’s in my future. I’m totally good with that, but I’m also tired of renting jacket BCDs and wondering when my rental regs were last serviced.

I know I’ll be buying a bpw setup. Setting aside brand considerations, I’d love to hear some opinions on the pros and cons of a soft back plate. I’m leaning that way, but I’m really interested in hearing about the advantages and disadvantages of that versus a metal (almost certainly aluminum for me) back plate. Thanks in advance.

I have been using for many years now an Oxy Ultra-lite textile plate (along with other types). Mine is fitted with an Oxy 18# Mach V wing. This type of wing and plate is strictly for use in warm water with light exposure gear and aluminum 80 or aluminum 64 cf tanks. HP steel tanks or much to negative and are unstable on the textile plate and may flop side to side. Even with an aluminum tanks I chock the tank by using the cam band weight pockets for my trim weights, one each cam band located on opposite sides to prevent rolling.

I am a no wing taco zone thus I prefer the NLA VDH wings and the Oxy Mach V type wings. I wish DGX would offer a 18-22# wing in addition to their 30# wing. The sleek and narrow profile of these wings and in the case of the VDH an internal bungee as well prevent taco wrapping around the tank.

Since you envision some cooler water diving a 30# wing and a simple aluminum plate might be a better choice:

A 30# wing is a great do all size.

You should check how much weight you need and pick a plate accordingly. My wife dives SS with no weights

Back
Top Bottom