Back Plate/ Wing question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPW fanboys

On SB, they are more like a cult extremist zealtos unfortunately.

try a few things and dive what YOU like best."

I agree with this but in reality it will be very difficult to implement. But your opinion here is balanced.

I agree with this but in reality it will be very difficult to implement. But your opinion here is balanced.
This is as difficult as WE make it. I have BPW and Jacket BCD's in my locker... I have single hose and DH regs in my locker as well. I regularly offer up for anyone in the area that I'd be happy to let them try any of it out.... so they can see what THEY like. It's on us who have the gear to be welcoming to those new to the sport and help where we can.
Just my opinion, always worth what you paid for it! lol.

Respectfully,

James

I still have yet to understand why everyone thinks they need want a backplate wing vs a traditional bc. It doesn't make anyone a better diver, they generally weigh more, cost more, and provide nothing different than a back inflate bc.

FWIW, all I do is the typical 50-60 vacation dives in tropical waters and recently went to a travellite cressi jacket style and I love it.
Mine was cheaper than anything available to me. Plus it feels less restrictive than having the bcd wrap around me. I hate wearing a traditional bcd and am still happy with my decision.
It’s easier for travel too, as I can take off the wing.
I do not preach BPW but if someone wants my opinion, I will advocate for it based on my experiences

But in this case, the OP is 5'10, 150#... I'm the same height and when I got down to 159# I looked like a concentration camp survivor, put weight back on.

I used my large back inflate bc for 10 yrs until I had to go back to a medium. I hated the bag being in the back. Hated it. So another back inflate or BP/W would never be an option for its replacement.

Again, I don't dive locally in cold murky lakes anymore unless I'm doing someone a favor and my travel bc is perfect for me.

My point really was that for the OPs application and body type, virtually anything would work.
I really don’t think you would look like a concentration camp survivor. Not even close. A really bad and insensitive analogy

I really don’t think you would look like a concentration camp survivor. Not even close. A really bad and insensitive analogy

Look at my screen name, I can say that. Whether you're offended by it is another matter.

When I dropped into the 150s it looked terrible. How's that...

Back
Top Bottom