Back Plate/ Wing question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have yet to understand why everyone thinks they need want a backplate wing vs a traditional bc. It doesn't make anyone a better diver, they generally weigh more, cost more, and provide nothing different than a back inflate bc.

FWIW, all I do is the typical 50-60 vacation dives in tropical waters and recently went to a travellite cressi jacket style and I love it.

I still have yet to understand why everyone thinks they need want a backplate wing vs a traditional bc. It doesn't make anyone a better diver, they generally weigh more, cost more, and provide nothing different than a back inflate bc.

FWIW, all I do is the typical 50-60 vacation dives in tropical waters and recently went to a travellite cressi jacket style and I love it.

My BPW weighs less than my old backinflate BCD, it costs pretty much the same. It’s less cumbersome. I can disassemble it for travel and it doesn’t take up half my suitcase. It’s modular. Should I keep going?

Better fit and a crotch strap are a major plus, not being squished by the wrap around bladder. Modularity is a big one. Harness, wing can easily be replaced without having to replace the whole damned thing.

More expensive is questionable. Depends on what you get.

As a cold water drysuit diver, a steel backplate is a much better choice.

Not "everyone" thinks they need a BPW. Many of us prefer them. Most of us advocate getting what works best for the individual. As to pros and cons, I won't argue those with you... I've seen ample threads where you have shown that you refuse to see where BPW may be better for some people or goals and you constantly bag on them. You do you... dive the gear you want to. The OP made this thread to ask advice on a BPW... not if you think he should want one.
Dive the gear you want to dive... and let others dive what they want. I say the same thing to those who think BPW is best for everyone. It's all about what works best for (or is preferred by) the individual diver.

Respectfully,

James

But in this case, the OP is 5'10, 150#... I'm the same height and when I got down to 159# I looked like a concentration camp survivor, put weight back on.

I used my large back inflate bc for 10 yrs until I had to go back to a medium. I hated the bag being in the back. Hated it. So another back inflate or BP/W would never be an option for its replacement.

Again, I don't dive locally in cold murky lakes anymore unless I'm doing someone a favor and my travel bc is perfect for me.

My point really was that for the OPs application and body type, virtually anything would work.

But in this case, the OP is 5'10, 150#... I'm the same height and when I got down to 159# I looked like a concentration camp survivor, put weight back on.

I used my large back inflate bc for 10 yrs until I had to go back to a medium. I hated the bag being in the back. Hated it. So another back inflate or BP/W would never be an option for its replacement.

Again, I don't dive locally in cold murky lakes anymore unless I'm doing someone a favor and my travel bc is perfect for me.

My point really was that for the OPs application and body type, virtually anything would work.

That doesn’t make any sense.

You can get a complete BP/W package from DGX for around $400. That’s a lower end jacket in todays market. The BP adds some weight which is nice and all allow for two cam bands for tank security. Most jackets have a plastic mounting pad or plate with one cam band, usually with a plastic cam buckle that eventually gives way and distorts and in some cases with heavy use will finally break. Jackets also have a lot more padding which is counter productive under water, they require extra weight just to sink the BC.
On a BP, D-rings can be added or subtracted and placed anywhere along the webbing where desired. Jackets do not allow for this.
Wings are interchangeable for many environments, jackets do not allow for this. Webbing can be swapped out if wear occurs (which is very seldom) and also a one piece harness can be used with no plastic clips. Jackets are sewn together one way and you do not have a choice for where they decide to put D-rings and clips.
Most wings have a zipper so the inner bladder can be accessed allowing for bladder repairs. Jackets do not allow for this. Jackets normally have a single walled bladder that has a urethane coating on the inside and no way to access the inside so repairs need to be done on the outside. This is akin to putting a tire patch on the outside of a tire.

However, with all that said, if I was a new diver with no money and found a jacket that fit and was in good shape at a garage sale I would buy it and dive the crap out if it until it completely fell apart.
I’m for whatever gets people in the water, including used gear and poodle jackets even though they may not be particularly optimal, but it still works.
It’s better than nothing.

I agree 💯 with you. I ditched my single tank recreational BP/W bc for jacket and back inflate BCs. I use a BP/w bc with twintanks only.

No one "needs" or "must" use a BP/W for single tank recreational diving at all. They "want to" because somebody else brainwashed them, is something else.

No one "needs" or "must" use a BP/W for single tank recreational diving at all. They "want to" because somebody else brainwashed, is something else.
No one "needs" a BPW... That I agree with. Saying that any who want to must be brainwashed is just as bogus as people claiming you "need" a BPW.
I wish that instead of BPW fanboys and Anti-BPW fanboys, we could have more advocates of "try a few things and dive what YOU like best."

Respectfully,

James

I agree 💯 with you. I ditched my single tank recreational BP/W bc for jacket and back inflate BCs. I use a BP/w bc with twintanks only.

No one "needs" or "must" use a BP/W for single tank recreational diving at all. They "want to" because somebody else brainwashed, is something else.

I don’t “need” a house to live in…I could sleep in a tent…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom