Ultralight Travel BP/W Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect you're kidding around.

Just in case you're interested, I put this kit together, in 2022, for $450CAD.
Everything came from DGX except the d-rings and 2 halcyon weight pouches that I already had lying around.
It weighs 5.4lbs. Not too bad for travel.

- DGX S/S Quick-Release Buckle $5.50
- DGX Continuous Harness Webbing with Center Grommet $15.00
- DGX Gears S1 Singles Wing (30lb) $199.00
- DGX Backplate - 2lb Aluminum $75.00
- 2 Dive Rite Tank Straps $25ea
I don't know what the prices are now.

View attachment 824220
View attachment 824221
That's a great looking rig. I know nothing of these rigs but it might be just what I need. I have been looking at back inflatable because it seems like an easier option to a noob. I can't stand and won't have a jacket. I get stuck with those on vacation

Well, Sir, I can't tell if you're serious or not... but here's where I'm coming from on it:
If you are serious, then for a minimalist travel wing setup, I'd ditch the cordura and use a ripstop nylon for the shell (a lot less abrasion resistance, but much lighter) and run it either on a straight harness (no actual plate) or cut a flat minimal dogbone from plastic. Could probably bring the whole thing under 4lb.

Respectfully,

James
thanks James - I was kinda kidding because I was just adding to your joke about needing a project. but now you have me thinking this could be a great travel option. I've just never had the opportunity to use a bp&w and I'm not the most gifted when it comes to rigging (dylexia makes everything upside down and backwards, lol)

Well, Sir, I can't tell if you're serious or not... but here's where I'm coming from on it:
If you are serious, then for a minimalist travel wing setup, I'd ditch the cordura and use a ripstop nylon for the shell (a lot less abrasion resistance, but much lighter) and run it either on a straight harness (no actual plate) or cut a flat minimal dogbone from plastic. Could probably bring the whole thing under 4lb.

Respectfully,

James
Super creative work, i hope to see a finished product some day!

Also it seems like the soft plate designs with kydex or other stiffener sewn sandwiched between nylon would suit your building style there.

Will this 1/2 inch plus 30lb plus, unmounted plate fit the bill

080.JPG

oops wrong thread, Muuuum!!!!

My body is off by more than that...
I didn't say I was rational.

I'm pretty lopsided, too.

Weight is 16lbs.!!!! Thats a nearly 1/3 of the checkin bag allowance.
Just weighed it.
4.13 kg for the Skark Skin roller.
The duffle bag for Light planes is 310g

One resort was 14kg plus 2kg carry on, flying in a Cessna Caravan, my scuba gear came in somewhere around 13.5 kg [from memory],
so very little clothing and foot wear.
Weighed a 2nd time with another scales.
IMG_20240202_155735.jpg
IMG_20240202_160233.jpg

I am in the market looking for a trolley bag weighting less than 2kg. No luck so far in this part of the world.
Which size? I have the carry-on Samsonite Lite-Shock Sport at 1.7kg. It's just big enough for my fins and of course all the gear and everything else I need on a dive+fun travel+remote work trip in the tropics (except for camera housing). The med size is 2.3kg and would surely be enough for the majority of divers traveling with gear.

3) build soft weight holders from seatbelt webbing and 3mil bungee that act just like (1) but have the added benefit of staying in place during travel and during cylinder swaps. If you’re interested I can send a pic and instructions for these when I‘m next at home.

I would be interested in the pictures / instructions if you have them conveniently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom