Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DGX package is fine. SP stuff is all over priced and offers no additional benefits for that premium.

Have you tried the Scubapro at all?

Delete

Both rigs are set up and sized. Have a pool session scheduled tomorrow to see how they work in the water! Will look forward to posting thoughts on this rig and our first experience with BPW!
Our wings have the DGX logo stitched into it btw. Cheers!

Pool Day complete!
This was our first experience with a BPW using the Long Hose setup.
Both of us enjoyed this setup a lot!!
We spent about 4 hrs in the pool getting familiar with the new equipment and adjusting tank position for better trim, experimenting with weighting and weight configurations. Practiced a lot with out of air situations, clipping and unclipping our bolt snaps on our SPG's, Long Hose, Torch, dsmbs, deploying our dsmbs.... etc.
We both found this setup enjoyable. The only real difference between my wife and I is that she preferred weighting on her hips. (we used a weight belt but plan on taking the trim pockets located on the cam bands and relocating them to the waist harness area.) With weight on the cam bands she had a tendency to roll. Changing the weight position alleviated this for her. I seemed fine with the trim pockets on the cam bands but may consider also moving a couple of pockets to my waist strap.
We wore 2.5 mil shorties, opted for the neoprene shoulder padding DGX offers as an option, and used the traditional single piece 2" webbing. When threading the harness I made sure to make sure that the shoulders had enough area/ space to make a fist between body and harness. Made sure that the waist area could be tightened adequately enough to support the entire weight of the kit.
Getting in and out of the single piece harness was MUCH easier than I had anticipated and the comfort of the kit was no more "uncomfortable" out of the water than the BCD that we got certified in. It's just heavy getting to the water in both scenarios. Once in the water, after tweaking tank position and trim weight, the whole kit preformed great!
The DGX does not come with a STA and states that it does not need one. I found this to be true. The tank felt very much a part of the backplate.
The wing is very narrow, provided more than enough lift, and we both found we could easily control our buoyancy on the surface.
Maneuvering underwater the backplate was stable and comfortable.
I sincerely appreciate everyones input and suggestions on making this purchase. Time will tell with our planned trip to Cozumel in September but based on our first pool session I am very pleased!

IMG_6896.jpeg

Nice looking rig, just to clarify...
You using aluminum tanks?
I assume since your traveling....

You will find the roll tendency to not be as noticeable with experience...

Maybe you already know this, but I recently learned here that if you run the regulator inflator hose through the left shoulder D-ring and leave the corrugated hose on the outside, it slides so much easier. Less effort to raise the hose.

Pool Day complete!
This was our first experience with a BPW using the Long Hose setup.
Both of us enjoyed this setup a lot!!
We spent about 4 hrs in the pool getting familiar with the new equipment and adjusting tank position for better trim, experimenting with weighting and weight configurations. Practiced a lot with out of air situations, clipping and unclipping our bolt snaps on our SPG's, Long Hose, Torch, dsmbs, deploying our dsmbs.... etc.
We both found this setup enjoyable. The only real difference between my wife and I is that she preferred weighting on her hips. (we used a weight belt but plan on taking the trim pockets located on the cam bands and relocating them to the waist harness area.) With weight on the cam bands she had a tendency to roll. Changing the weight position alleviated this for her. I seemed fine with the trim pockets on the cam bands but may consider also moving a couple of pockets to my waist strap.
We wore 2.5 mil shorties, opted for the neoprene shoulder padding DGX offers as an option, and used the traditional single piece 2" webbing. When threading the harness I made sure to make sure that the shoulders had enough area/ space to make a fist between body and harness. Made sure that the waist area could be tightened adequately enough to support the entire weight of the kit.
Getting in and out of the single piece harness was MUCH easier than I had anticipated and the comfort of the kit was no more "uncomfortable" out of the water than the BCD that we got certified in. It's just heavy getting to the water in both scenarios. Once in the water, after tweaking tank position and trim weight, the whole kit preformed great!
The DGX does not come with a STA and states that it does not need one. I found this to be true. The tank felt very much a part of the backplate.
The wing is very narrow, provided more than enough lift, and we both found we could easily control our buoyancy on the surface.
Maneuvering underwater the backplate was stable and comfortable.
I sincerely appreciate everyones input and suggestions on making this purchase. Time will tell with our planned trip to Cozumel in September but based on our first pool session I am very pleased!

View attachment 794244
the glides on shoulder d ring is colorful. are they AL? maybe I ask where did you get them? and how are they holding up?

Nice looking rig, just to clarify...
You using aluminum tanks?
I assume since your traveling....

You will find the roll tendency to not be as noticeable with experience...
Thank you. I'm sure aluminum will be the norm in our travels. Appreciate the insight to "roll" and agree!

Maybe you already know this, but I recently learned here that if you run the regulator inflator hose through the left shoulder D-ring and leave the corrugated hose on the outside, it slides so much easier. Less effort to raise the hose.
I will definitely look at that option. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom