Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redbelly737

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I were recently certified and added the OWA and Nitrox so extremely new to diving. (9 total dives) The experience, as expected, far exceeded our expectations and has us looking to purchase our own equipment.

This will be for primarily warm water and air travel.

58/45, 185/125, excellent health, very active lifestyle.

Started to go down the BCD/ BP/W rabbit hole with a strong look at ScubaPro Hydros Pro before finding the ScubaPro Aluminum S-Tek. Then reviewed many of the BP/W companies. Like the trim/ minimalist feeling idea that the BP/W offers.

Came very close to purchasing S-Tek and find it an attractive (expensive) package but then I look at the DGX Aluminum Custom and find it extremely appealing for the no frills and price. Honestly think it would suit our needs nicely. Will likely be using with a 2/3mm shorty with concerns towards padding/ comfort.

For new divers that have never used a BP/W, but virtually positive we will enjoy it, is the DGX Custom a good course? (first post, be gentle:wink:)

Cheers!

Right question. Wrong forum.

Yes, the DGX BP/W package is an outstanding deal. Get it with the aluminum plate and it your case either the 1-1/2” or 2” crotch strap is fine. You generally need a 2” if you’re scootering with the scooter clipped off on the crotch strap D-ring, but just for tropical diving and rig stability the 1-1/2” is fine. They have a nice narrow wing too. At 30# lift it will be fine for travel and for local cool or cold water diving if you ever want to do that.
You can’t beat it!

DGX makes great stuff, I would likely opt for a stainless so I didn’t need to add weight pouches but the trade off is I’m packing the weight but it’s only an extra 3 lbs or so and it’s all negative usable weight.

I have the S tek which I’ll be taking to curaçao this week, it has some very positive design aspects but common sense points at the great bargain of the DGX system and same functionality.

When I started I went straight for BPW for same reasons As you stated and love it.
I have the DGX wing and a Zeagle wing. The DGX wing is too narrow for me even though it’s extremely well made and streamlined. I prefer a wider wing like the Zeagle as I find it easier to use with weight pockets on the cam band but that is my personal preference.
My 2 cents as a less experienced recreational diver 🙂

DGX makes great stuff, I would likely opt for a stainless so I didn’t need to add weight pouches but the trade off is I’m packing the weight but it’s only an extra 3 lbs or so and it’s all negative usable weight.

I have the S tek which I’ll be taking to curaçao this week, it has some very positive design aspects but common sense points at the great bargain of the DGX system and same functionality.
Thank you, I personally used 14lbs and my wife used 8lbs when we got certified with a normal BCD and all it's inherent buoyancy. I believe I will carry quite a bit less with this set up even with Aluminum and hope to just use trim pockets on the cam bands. Will look forward to your impressions of the S-Tek. Everyone that has used it seems to love it.

When I started I went straight for BPW for same reasons As you stated and love it.
I have the DGX wing and a Zeagle wing. The DGX wing is too narrow for me even though it’s extremely well made and streamlined. I prefer a wider wing like the Zeagle as I find it easier to use with weight pockets on the cam band but that is my personal preference.
My 2 cents as a less experienced recreational diver 🙂
I'm glad to hear that! We shall see on the wing! But that is a big part of going with this system and the ability to change things if they don't work! Excited to find out!

My wife and I were recently certified and added the OWA and Nitrox so extremely new to diving. (9 total dives) The experience, as expected, far exceeded our expectations and has us looking to purchase our own equipment.

This will be for primarily warm water and air travel.

58/45, 185/125, excellent health, very active lifestyle.

Started to go down the BCD/ BP/W rabbit hole with a strong look at ScubaPro Hydros Pro before finding the ScubaPro Aluminum S-Tek. Then reviewed many of the BP/W companies. Like the trim/ minimalist feeling idea that the BP/W offers.

Came very close to purchasing S-Tek and find it an attractive (expensive) package but then I look at the DGX Aluminum Custom and find it extremely appealing for the no frills and price. Honestly think it would suit our needs nicely. Will likely be using with a 2/3mm shorty with concerns towards padding/ comfort.

For new divers that have never used a BP/W, but virtually positive we will enjoy it, is the DGX Custom a good course? (first post, be gentle:wink:)

Cheers!
I do NOT like that harness, I like a cross chest strap and other amenities, I also like a pad on the plate, I would prefer this harness, the delux one.

You will still be way cheaper than a scuba pro.

Also I would choose a rubber freedive belt over pockets on the harness, for both comfort and ability to ditch.

It is funny though, most of this is about comfort and those are the things I use for comfort in a thin suit, but many people will argue (and be entirely convinced that they are right) that a basic harness is comfortable enough and no padding is beneficial (for them, me, you and the wife).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom