XS Scuba Clear-Path buckle on sale (and mini review)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see from my oldest post that I have been using XS Scuba Clear-Path buckles on the waist belt of my BCDs and weight belt since at least August 2016.

I recently needed another one, so I went shopping and found them on sale for $9.95 on scuba.com. I bought 3 more, just to make sure I have them on hand the next time I build a harness.

When I bought my first one and posted about it, somebody knocked it as being a "plastic buckle". Well, first, they are glass-filled nylon, not plastic, and they have a stainless steel hinge pin. And, second, I'm still using the first one I bought (7+ years ago), on one of my rigs. I can't see any signs of wear or rust other than some scratches on the front of it.

I like them a lot better than the typical stainless steel buckle.

They are much lighter, so it doesn't hurt if you set your rig down and your buckle falls on your bare foot.

They are quiet. SO much less annoying than the clanking of a steel buckle when I'm moving my rig around.

They are matte black. I bought my first one because I felt like a barracuda was stalking the shiny steel buckle I had. That happened to me on two different occasions. Since switching to a matte black buckle, that has not happened again.

I have this buckle on my single tank rig, both of my back mount doubles BP/W harnesses, my CCR, and one of my sidemount rigs (soon to be on my new one). And I have one on a piece of 2 inch webbing that works perfectly as a weight belt.

Whenever I see things like this I worry that they are about to be discontinued. So, do us all a favor and buy yourself one, so XS Scuba will (hopefully) see that people want them and keep making them. :D They really are a good piece of kit!

As a matter of fact I think I read one of your posts, and that got me started on them.

I agree, I would never go back to steel.

They are quiet. SO much less annoying than the clanking of a steel buckle when I'm moving my rig around.

May sound silly, but this is my favorite feature of this buckle.

'Also believe that this buckle is easier to thread than metal ones; Both when inserting tag end of belt into buckle, and when fitting on belt.

I wouldn't call the webbing pathway innovative. It's similar to a normal 3-slot buckle, but with the first slot built-up so it can be parallel to the belt instead of perpendicular. The tail runs back along the belt in both cases.

Can't fault the lack of noise or barracuda attraction, however. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom