Question Aluminum or Steel Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What @crofrog said. Wing size doesn't affect your weighting. 2" crotch strap for the win.

Also:

For a crotch strap, I have been using the Dive Rite 2" with sewn-in scooter ring for years. It is my go-to. It comes with a nice neoprene sleeve that gives you a place to tuck the tail of the webbing into, and it protects the sensitive bits and exposure protection from being rubbed by the edge of the 2" webbing.

But, more recently, I have been changing all my crotch straps over to the Y strap from Cave Adventurers.

I don't really see any downside to this one other than it's just a little more expensive. It is a kinder, gentler crotch strap... :)

Last:

On my single tank BP/W, I got a skinny, nylon webbing strap with a buckle. I run it through the top cam band slot and up. I use it as a rig "hanger" to hang my rig on a tank when I'm assembling my rig. I use the buckle on it to set the overall length so that it holds my back plate at the correct height for me while I'm doing up the tank straps.

It really makes changing over to a new tank easier. Especially if you also use ScubaPro-style QR tank straps, instead of standard cam bands.

The strap was less than 4 bucks from McMaster-Carr, I think. I posted details about it here:

Assuming the other webbing is 2", that's another good reason to stick with that for the crotch strap - your slides will fit all your webbing. I have a 1.5" crotch strap and while I haven't had any problems with it, I went to put a D-ring on it for a DSMB and realized that all my triglides are for 2" webbing.

On my single tank BP/W, I got a skinny, nylon webbing strap with a buckle. I run it through the top cam band slot and up. I use it as a rig "hanger" to hang my rig on a tank when I'm assembling my rig. I use the buckle on it to set the overall length so that it holds my back plate at the correct height for me while I'm doing up the tank straps.

It really makes changing over to a new tank easier.
what a great idea! Yeah. This part was really tricky. Imma give this a try. Thanks!

I use string to support this stainless plate, see it there

088.JPG

and the bands are bolted to the stainless plate for purchase

070.JPG

See them there

Hey everyone,

I've got a gear question and I could really use your advice. I'm all pumped about getting the DGX bp/w package, but I'm stuck on a choice: should I go for the aluminum plate or stainless steel?

My dives mostly happen in warm Puerto Rican waters. Usually, I'm in a t-shirt, but sometimes I use a 3mm shorty. I'm about 5'11" and 165lbs, kinda slim, and I tend to naturally sink.

Right now, I'm using 6lbs of lead and a jacket-style BCD. Here's where I'm hung up – could the 5lb stainless steel plate replace all that lead? Does that mean stainless steel being better for my local dives?

On the flip side, I'm thinking about an aluminum plate with some weight. It sounds nice since I could fine-tune things and maybe make traveling easier someday. That said, in trying to build a kit for local diving. If it turns out Al is best for local, then the travel benefit is great, too!

But if aluminum means I would add weight until I reach the 6lb I’ve been diving with, then I would just go with the ss plate.
I'd really appreciate your wisdom to help me choose. Feel free to ask more questions. Thanks in advance!

I own about 6-7 backplates now. Some Al, some SS, even have one of those fancy Gucci ”H” carbon ones. Between all of them the only ones I use are the SS ones. AL and Carbon just in the closet if that give you and indication on what my preference is.

Pretty much all my diving is in warm tropic water with S80’s. And yes I do a lot!! Of international diving trip travel (I am United 1K if that give you any idea of how much I travel) often to remote places. I like the wight of the SS plates. If I am diving single tank with a 5mm wetsuit (or 3mm suit) and my VDH 18# wing all I need is a regular SS backplate and im good to go. It’s sooooooo nice not to have to mess around with weights, weight pockets, weight belts, putting weight on cam bands, bungee mounting weights, etc. Also is a super clean setup.

If I am diving my rebreather with drysuit 3L steels and same thing with the SS plate even with super floaty high He S80 trimix BO’s I don’t need any weight.

However honestly if you really get into diving you will soon realize that backplates are kind of like fins and mask you going to end up with multiple for different setups/applications.

can you post a picture of this?
I've been brainstorming a way to do this and having some troubles. Being able to put my cylinders nice and high is great but i never get the same position twice.

can you post a picture of this?
I've been brainstorming a way to do this and having some troubles. Being able to put my cylinders nice and high is great but i never get the same position twice.

I think I did post pics in that thread I linked. Otherwise, it may be a bit before I have a chance to take pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom