BPW recommendations - Uniquely sized diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cbartul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm finally looking into buying my own equipment and am looking for a BPW. I am 6'5" and 230 lbs. I dive more frequently in tropical waters when I travel, but I do some cold water diving in the PA quarries. I most frequently use a single 15L or a steel 120. In board shorts and a rash guard, I need about 6–8 lbs. of weight and 16–18 lbs. in a 7mm.

My legs are quite long, and torso shorter than expected in comparison. I've dove on a rental bpw that was the average length, and that was fine, so I'm thinking I don't need to try to find a long bp.

Do I bother with an aluminum plate for travel, or just go for the SS and call it a day? Additionally, debating on a 30# or 40# Oxycheq single wing. Looking for thoughts and recommendations.

Considering tec training in the future.

Thank you!

Might be worthwhile to mention more recently I dove some cenotes with a 5mm wetsuit and only 6lbs lead.

I like having multiple plates, and wings. I use a carbon plate and dgx 30lb wing for travel, and a steel plate with a halcyon 40lb wing for local Coldwater diving. Steel plate and 40 lb wing for doubles (100hp) at home as well. 3 setups total.
edit.... the harness is set for my regular exposure protection worn with that wing. 3mm wetsuit for travel, and drysuit at home.

I like having multiple plates, and wings. I use a carbon plate and dgx 30lb wing for travel, and a steel plate with a halcyon 40lb wing for local Coldwater diving. Steel plate and 40 lb wing for doubles (100hp) at home as well. 3 setups total.
edit.... the harness is set for my regular exposure protection worn with that wing. 3mm wetsuit for travel, and drysuit at home.
If you had to buy your first set again, which would you choose in terms of versatility? I plan on expanding in the future, but need somewhere to start.

Just get a SS plate. You’ll be covered for most of your weighting. The carbon fiber or al plates are for if you’re too heavy in a SS plate IMO.

If you’re interested in a halcyon 40lb singles wing. I have one i ordered by accident that only has a few dives on it.

Do I bother with an aluminum plate for travel, or just go for the SS and call it a day?
As you seem to be aware, some people believe saving a few pounds of luggage weight is more important than carrying a few pounds less lead on the dives, while others believe the exact opposite. I'm in the second camp. I prefer a steel plate, even when traveling by air, and when I'm diving with my well-worn 3mm wetsuit I need only a couple of pounds of lead. I do have an aluminum plate, but I only use that with my heavy steel double tanks.

Just get a SS plate. You’ll be covered for most of your weighting. The carbon fiber or al plates are for if you’re too heavy in a SS plate IMO.

If you’re interested in a halcyon 40lb singles wing. I have one i ordered by accident that only has a few dives on it.
Perhaps! What are you asking for it?

If you had to buy your first set again, which would you choose in terms of versatility? I plan on expanding in the future, but need somewhere to start.
I bought the carbon plates first as we were taking a tropical trip shortly after. We were in jacket bcds first though. The steel plate came almost immediately after getting home from that trip, as we dive much more locally (great lakes) than away, and our season was starting.
My decision, if I was you, would be based on where you'll be doing the majority of your diving in the very near future. Is airline weight an issue for you? Steel is heavy, and lead is free on-site most of the time. Baggage weight not an issue? Steel is great. I'd always dive Steel, but my wife and I travel with a lot of gear, and the weight matters to us.

Carbon isn't necessary, and aluminum will do the job at around the same weight...and much cheaper. But I'm a gear whore with a penchant for exotic materials...lol. I love me some titanium, carbon fiber, Kevlar, etc... In the end, you're likely going to end up with multiple setups if you're often diving in wildly different conditions (tropical vs. real cold water diving). In the grand scheme of things, plates and webbing are cheap.

I’m 5”10 and 165 and started with a DGX steel plate and DGX 30 pound wing which served me well for singles diving under a variety of circumstances.

I recently started diving doubles in a dry suit and found myself a bit overweighted in fresh water with the steel plate and twin HP100s. So I now have an aluminum BP which I use for fresh water and will use steel for salt (with no additional weight).

I haven’t tried the aluminum with singles yet but imagine it might be a good option for travel to tropical places where I’ll be diving singles with a wet suit and will be wearing weight regardless of the plate.

Plates are one of the cheaper pieces of gear and last a long time so I’m happy to have a couple of different options to tinker with as I learn to dive different configurations in different setups. That being said, given your configuration, steel seems the best option to minimize extra weight on your belt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom