New to SM -- looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2.) Is the extra cost worth it? I am looking at purchasing a SM-dedicated BCD (figure $1,000.00) in addition to a SM-oriented "pair" of regulators (figure $1,300.00)

Most sidemount setups use 5th port swivel regulators like the ScubaPro Mk25. The only difference between a sidemount setup and backmount setup are the hose lengths. As such, I wouldn't really count their cost, because if you decide to go backmount in the end, you'll reuse them.

And if you watch the Classifieds here or on eBay, you can sometimes get a sidemount BCD for 50% new price. It can be done without spending thousands.

Your response warrants a much more severe rebuttal but I don't have the patience to craft something eloquent enough....if I spoke my mind I would likely be removed from SB. Have a nice day.

Don't get upset and don't bother or let it ruin your day. He is "different" and means well just difficult to get his point across sometimes. Deep down, he is a nice guy.

Just an FYI, Happy is an exceptionally smart guy, probably smarter than the greater majority of us here on SB, just different in his ways of communicating with others. No need to ridicule him, just skip whatever you don't understand from his posts.

There is no need to spend 2500 bucks on a sidemount set up. NONE!
You can look around for used reg sets. I just sold my HOG SM D3 Classic second set and a D2/Classic second deco reg for 700 bucks.
A Dive Rite Nomad LS SM BC new is 650. They come up all the time on FB market place for half that. Hollis SMS75's and SMS 50s are another option for what you want to do. Those show up for 300-400 bucks.
A complete DGX gear D6 SM reg set is 699.00 new.
The main thing you want in a reg set is a 1st stage with a turret and a 5th port in the end of the turret.
Doing that you are half of your original estimate.
If you are "working" for a shop you are getting your DM through, and if they have any ethics at all, they will sell you whatever they carry at cost. And show you the dealer cost. If they won't do that then they don't deserve your business.
Unless it's ScubaPro. If the BC is an SP side-mount rig, it's garbage. Whoever designed that should be slapped.

Go to FB and check the Scuba Midwest Gear Sales page. There's an Xdeep for 425 and an Nomad LS for 325.
I'll sell you my HOG SM BC for 300 if you want it.

Agreed about cost, gear can be procured for a whole lot less.

You mentioned you work for a dive shop and that you will eventually do IDC; doesn’t your dive shop offer Keyman or at least significant discounts to its instructors/DMs?

Even if you paid retail, you could get a Razor or an xDeep for under a thousand...

1) If you have back pain, SM is a beneficial option. You can carry tanks one by one. You can jump with/without tank. You can climb onto the boat with/without tank. BM double is good equipment, but more strict.

2) And most of equipment are interchangeable between SM and BM, especially regs. You might consider acquiring second-hand, well-maintained gear. Regardless of your dive location, consult with your SM instructor to establish a system suitable for both steel and aluminum tanks. And maybe your LDS gives special rate for you, if you are working for them.

3) My best experience of diving is scooter. Second is SM. However, it's essential to note that your SM instructor should possess extensive experience as an SM diver for optimal results.

So what happens is you get told stuff, you believe stuff, and even if you maybe didn't believe stuff
you end up believing stuff that you maybe didn't, because the bloke telling you the stuff believes it

So enough about doctors and stuff

So what happens with a concern you maybe have about the after effects of an operation you had 15 years ago
that doesn't affect your diving today, if only to put yourself at ease, you find out how much strain you can take
to get rid of the doubt also the fear that has built up over the years, because you believe what you are thinking
whatever it is as you may not know

So as not to blow the next 60 years
concocting ideas, without the facts

however I had a tumor removed from L3 about 15 years ago. While it doesn't hinder my current activities (including diving) I am somewhat apprehensive about strapping a twinset onto my back.

So I say if people post carefully, and read carefully, and if people take the time to understand my information
you would get this but with less words, see I can't type and just this has taken me about 14 hrs this afternoon

If you re and re and re and re re read my post you may well see the inclusion of the Dude Hercules which means
I'm being light and funny but if you know a diver called Hercules today that is not the Hercules I'm talking about

Thank you for your enviable support, you bear of a Muslim Brother you
Should I take this as a compliment
Come on give me a big hug, I'm sure you had a great Christmas as did I

And I excuse myself for stumbling into sidemount, as I prefer to leave youse to sort out your weirdness yourselves

As far as tumours encroaching vertebrae, where Docs go in between ribs and damage nerves boy do I have a story

It's called, “It just so happens!”

And Just remember, Hercules looking for spilled amphora does not sidemount, nor does Chuck Norris

"Hey you, hey happy-diver, get yourself out of sidemount, quick!!!!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom