BPW for a short guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlockeddivingdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I made a mistake and bought a hydros pro last year. I can't complain about the quality or anything like that, but it's a bitter pill to swallow that I could have achieved greater utility and customization for half the price with a bpw. So, I'm going to pull the trigger and get one.

Thing is, I'm only 5'4". Beyond the customization that a back plate and harness offer, I was watching a GUE video extolling the virtues of a short plate for smaller individuals, but beyond that video there seems to be a paucity of high quality information on the subject.

Does anybody have any experience with these shorter plates? The only one that Ive really been able to find is the dive rite XT short stainless, and the light version of the same.

I was leaning towards dive rite anyway, so if that's the only thing on the market, and it would be a wise purchase, then I'm fine with that. But I would very much appreciate anybody that could chime in with some of the pros and cons of a shorter plate, as well as any other options that might be out there that I'm missing.

Appreciate it!

I had a Halcyon SS plate a few years ago when I was still doing backmount. I’m 5’5” and it worked well for me. Glad to hear DR has a short plate now.

I made a mistake and bought a hydros pro last year. I can't complain about the quality or anything like that, but it's a bitter pill to swallow that I could have achieved greater utility and customization for half the price with a bpw. So, I'm going to pull the trigger and get one.

Thing is, I'm only 5'4". Beyond the customization that a back plate and harness offer, I was watching a GUE video extolling the virtues of a short plate for smaller individuals, but beyond that video there seems to be a paucity of high quality information on the subject.

Does anybody have any experience with these shorter plates? The only one that Ive really been able to find is the dive rite XT short stainless, and the light version of the same.

I was leaning towards dive rite anyway, so if that's the only thing on the market, and it would be a wise purchase, then I'm fine with that. But I would very much appreciate anybody that could chime in with some of the pros and cons of a shorter plate, as well as any other options that might be out there that I'm missing.

Appreciate it!
I think will be fine with a standard size backplate. I am short too and use a standard size Halcyon backplate. I think the shorter plates are more for smaller women because of the smaller torso.

Appreciate it!
There's also Subgravity short plates. Given your height, I think you're probably going to be much happier with a short plate. I'm a fan of their gear... The plates are very nice, but dive rite plates are probably fine too.

If you can’t get the plate low enough and the tanks low enough then you should get a short plate. I have a few short female friends that use them

Short doubles plates benefit short divers mostly because of where the waist straps are located and where it places the waist strap. This is more important if you are using a weightbelt; you want the waist strap high enough that it won’t interfere with the weightbelt.
Other than that, doubles plates are flat and I’ve seen short divers using regular size plates. The plate just sits on top of their butt cheeks but so does the tank, so what’s the difference?

OP, why do you not like the Hydros? I heard they are a really nice BC. All the users here swear by them.

Short doubles plates benefit short divers mostly because of where the waist straps are located and where it places the waist strap. This is more important if you are using a weightbelt; you want the waist strap high enough that it won’t interfere with the weightbelt.
Other than that, doubles plates are flat and I’ve seen short divers using regular size plates. The plate just sits on top of their butt cheeks but so does the tank, so what’s the difference?

OP, why do you not like the Hydros? I heard they are a really nice BC. All the users here swear by them.
I would wear out the Hydros before bothering with the backplate, it wasn’t a horrible decision but 5 years from now it’s not like the backplate technology is going to change.

I would wear out the Hydros before bothering with the backplate, it wasn’t a horrible decision but 5 years from now it’s not like the backplate technology is going to change.
If the OP isn't happy with the Hydros, then he should sell it for maximum resale value (best possible condition). Of course, I'd recommend trying a short BP before purchase, like any piece of equipment, whenever possible.

If the OP isn't happy with the Hydros, then he should sell it for maximum resale value (best possible condition). Of course, I'd recommend trying a short BP before purchase, like any piece of equipment, whenever possible.
It sounds like buyers remorse, it will be compounded when he sells it for 1/2 or less than he paid for it.

It sounds like buyers remorse, it will be compounded when he sells it for 1/2 or less than he paid for it.
Sure, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I have no idea how much he will be able to sell it for.

Back
Top Bottom