Trip Report Puerto Galera Philippines: March 23 - April 2, 2024 - SCANDI DIVERS - Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from Puerto Galera and we had a wonderful time!

SCANDI DIVERS RESORT – truly, the jewel in their crown is their staff. From the dive crew, housekeeping, the kitchen/restaurant and customer service, they’re all very friendly and helpful. I think they really did know most people’s names by the second day (mine is oddball, so it took another day!). Several times throughout our stay they would leave little goodies on the bed for us. One day it was a woven bracelet; then a chocolate bar; then a crocheted Nemo key chain, and on the last day a small zippered pouch with Scandi Divers written on the outside. Each of these had a little note expressing their appreciation. Roger and I celebrated our 600th dive here and on the night of the big party we were presented with special t-shirts that had a special message about the 600 dives imprinted on the sleeve. Truly nice and thoughtful folks. Oh, nitrox is free. If you aren't nitro certified they will do the training for free.

GETTING THERE: We flew Philippines Airlines and were unimpressed. We were on 777-300s and the seating was tight. But worse, it seemed the airline was poorly run. Our flight out of LAX was delayed by TEN hours. First they delayed, then cancelled, then UNcancelled. Yes, I know this can happen with any airline (and it happened with an American flight in January for us). But the communication between travelers and the airline was poor. I STILL don’t really know why there was a ten hour delay. That said, we went STL to LAX and spent the night. Then the next day went LAX to MNL (Manila). The LAX to MNL flight was 15 hours going there, but it was 13 hours coming back (I guess tailwinds make up that much of a difference). We had the exact same seats both ways (41B&C). On the way there we had a breeze coming through the exit door and the guy at the window was using 5 blankets to stay warm. On the way back I prepared and was wearing every extra stitch of clothing I had and the door was secure and we were toasty. Weird. Anyway, you really need to take into consideration that the travel to and from an exotic destination is very tedious. You just might arrive cranky. We’re working on other ways to get there ‘less cranky’. Maybe fly to Honolulu and layover for a couple of days – something like that. If anyone has some reliable hacks, tips, tricks I would love to hear them.

More about getting there: We flew into Manila, then took a shuttle to Batangas (a long trek – couple of hours?) and then Scandi picks you up from there on a closed boat to go to the resort. When you arrive they have music playing, massage therapists giving you upper back and neck massages (it was heavenly) as you sit in the restaurant area. They explain how things work, give you a Scandi water bottle and welcome you to the resort. Lovely.

On the boat ride from Batangas to PG you will see a HUGE statue of Mary. That is Montemaria - Mother of all Asia. It is a tourist destination and is planned to be a residential area. She is the tallest statue in the Philippines and the 9th tallest in the world. You'll be able to see her from most of your dives.

ROOMS: the beds were surprisingly comfortable. I brought my blow up mattress and didn't use it. Everything is tidy and clean. Fair warning, there are NO drawers in any level of the rooms. Whether you're steerage (like us) or in the Penthouse. Plan around living out of suitcases and piles of stragically organized clothes. This is NOT a fancy place. If you're a gal and like wearing sarongs a sun dresses those would be ideal - if you're like me and a t-shirt and shorts gal, that's ok too. There's really no reason to dress up. Guys, leave your collared shirts and hard shoes at home.

Scandi provides shampoo/conditioner combined, as well as shower gel in the showers. It was adequate, but I’m not picky. They do not provide lotion. The hair dryer is adequate – but I didn’t use it a lot (and it shows in my pictures, good grief).

There are plenty of outlets in the room. We got the ‘European Travel Plug Adapter, VINTAR International Power Plug Adapter with 1USBC, 2 American Outlets and 3 USB ports, 6 in 1 Travel Essentials to Most of Europe, Greece, Italy (Type C)’ – from Amazon, two for $21. I thought this little adapter was fantastic – two American outlets and the USB ports and a Type C – awesome!

FOOD: I’ve read rave reviews about the food and while I found it very good, the meat is both sweet and savory. I was really looking forward to just savory salmon when I got home. They serve a fantastic garlic rice with the Filipino breakfast, and their pancakes are to die for (try the banana pancakes). Meal portions are generally pretty big – I haven’t gotten on the scale yet – probably won’t for a couple of weeks!!!

REEF & MUCK DIVING: The diving was wonderful. The visibility on the reefs wasn’t great – 50-60ft by my estimation. However, we were there for a full moon so there was a fair amount of current and the water was churned up a bit, but we were told that the viz doesn’t get a whole lot better anyway. So ,if you’re looking for fantastic viz, you probably won’t get it here. On the muck dives (in a bay) the viz was really awful, but that’s to be expected on a muck dive anyway.

Reef and muck dives: I didn’t even TRY to learn any names of nudis, there were just far too many! And flatworms that I thought were nudis – beautiful. Saw several ghost pipe fish – both ornate (black and white) and the ones that look like leaves. Saw a few cool frog fish. Got a great video of a free swimming snake (the striped, venomous one); free swimming feather star; got a video of a bumphead parrot fish family swimming by – they’re huge; saw several cuttlefish, both the plain green and the flamboyant, and they were mostly pretty small (and so cute); I was shown my first and only sheep nudi on a muck dive there – can’t believe how teeny they are (a few millimeters?).

THE BOATS: All entries are back-roll off of outriggers (they look like mosquitos or crane flies on the water). You drop off the boat and swim to the front while the boat pulls away. It seems to be standard to get kicked, or to kick someone in the head during this process. You have the option of climbing back on to the boat by going up the ladder with your rig on or taking it off for the crew to hoist on board. The Scandi I (one) boat has ladder rungs that are closer together, so I was able to easily able to climb on board. The Scandi II (two) has ladder rungs that are further apart, and being 5’1” it was difficult for me to climb up.

VERDE ISLAND & EXCURSION: Scandi took us out to Verde Island for our two morning dives and a very nice lunch on the island. There were SO many teeming fish – incredible. The dive is around the tip top of a ‘mountain’ or ‘hill’, of which just the top is above the water line. It’s essentially a wall dive all around. It was pristine and beautiful. However, when they organized a second trip out there, Roger and I decided to stay at the resort and do the regular dives, so I guess we weren’t THAT impressed? We also chose not to do the afternoon drive to the waterfalls and the indigenous village, preferring to dive and get a massage.

Thanks for the two reports @Kimela. I'm headed there on the 27th and am doing the flight out of LAX like you. I've already paid for "extra legroom" seats as I'm 6'7" but I'm considering bidding on their business class on the way there (did similar when I went to Fiji last). Currently we are sitting in 61J/K seats, I don't really want to give the airline much more money because they nailed us good when we had to change our flights (originally we were suppose to be on the Philippines Aggressor II but we got cancelled on us twice and we were originally leaving this weekend).

We are staying at Anilao for 5 nights, then headed to PG and staying at El Galleon/Asia Divers for 8 nights. Thanks for the tips on the water temps in the other thread, I don't get cold very easy but I'll have my 3mil....my wife is luckily like me and doesn't typically wear a wetsuit if it's around 81-82 but she will be taking her 3mil as well.

We are suppose to get in around 5:30am and we have transportation lined up to take us to the resort in Anilao where I booked the night before so we can check into the room when we get there.....cuz we will be zombies and grumpy.

Avoid Christmas and Easter(Holly week) if you can.
Flight is more expensive and demand is exceedingly high.
I have been to the country on numerous occasions but it must be well over 15yrs since I last travelled around those two periods.

Thank you so much for the write up! Loads of great tips (including water temps)

This got me thinking, though:
GEAR STORAGE AND STAGING FOR DIVES: The area where you gear up has several large tables to sit and and chat before/between dives. Each person is assigned a large crate (2.5ft by 1.5ft?), but mostly what went in ours was our towel (provided at the front desk), room key, t-shirt and odds and ends. You will be issued a plastic card to redeem for a dry towel. You can exchange your wet towel throughout the day as many times as you want. You do NOT need to bring a travel towel. Once you turn over your gear to the crew they take good care of it. Roger is VERY picky about his gear and I didn’t hear him complain about how they handled his gear. The guy who is in charge of all the neoprene (Armand) is amazing. If you can’t find something he probably knows EXACTLY where it is.

Odd story: Roger got up one morning and went looking for his wetsuit and it was GONE. He knows his wetsuit because he had to patch a spot on his butt (he took a spill on a boat and snagged a hole on a bolt – had a nice bruise too) – there’s no mistaking his suit for someone else’s. Yet someone else had put on his 3mil Pinnacle, which was still truly 3mil as it hadn’t been used very much, and left behind their old, ratty 3mil that felt more like a 1mil. I guess Armand straightened it out when the guy came back – and provided Roger a loaner for the dive. Roger tried to make a joke out of it and asked the guy “Hey, you didn’t pee in my wetsuit did you?!”. The guy just said “no, I didn’t pee in your wetsuit”. No apology. No, ‘hey I’ll buy you a beer later’. Oy.
So I'm guessing all equipment was "just" hung up to dry all together? Apart from the crate you don't have anywhere that's "your spot"?
I actually really do not like this, when I bring my own gear - would be pissed, if I missed a dive due to someone else taking my suit (and NO I do not dive in other peoples/rental suits, so it would mean me missing a dive).

Thank you so much for the write up! Loads of great tips (including water temps)

This got me thinking, though:

So I'm guessing all equipment was "just" hung up to dry all together? Apart from the crate you don't have anywhere that's "your spot"?
I actually really do not like this, when I bring my own gear - would be pissed, if I missed a dive due to someone else taking my suit (and NO I do not dive in other peoples/rental suits, so it would mean me missing a dive).
Nope - nothing that is dedicated to a specific diver. However, I think if you told Armand that you want your stuff stored in the back he would be happy to accommodate you. As it was, there were days I brought out a rash guard and hung it in the sun and he moved it to an inside location - don't know if it was so nobody snagged it or to protect it from the sun - but there is room inside (not locked up - but someone would have to go past a 'gatekeeper' to enter the area').

As I think about it, between dives the BCs with tanks and regs were taken back into the area where they fill the tanks - so the only things hanging where others could get to them were neoprene, socks and boots. We left our fins and masks on the boats.

On the last night they move ALL the gear inside near the tanks and generators so it will dry faster in the dry heat. They did leave the wetsuits outside (but well under the building) so they would continue to dry. My 3mil and 2.5mil were bone dry.

Thanks for the two reports @Kimela. I'm headed there on the 27th and am doing the flight out of LAX like you. I've already paid for "extra legroom" seats as I'm 6'7" but I'm considering bidding on their business class on the way there (did similar when I went to Fiji last). Currently we are sitting in 61J/K seats, I don't really want to give the airline much more money because they nailed us good when we had to change our flights (originally we were suppose to be on the Philippines Aggressor II but we got cancelled on us twice and we were originally leaving this weekend).

We are staying at Anilao for 5 nights, then headed to PG and staying at El Galleon/Asia Divers for 8 nights. Thanks for the tips on the water temps in the other thread, I don't get cold very easy but I'll have my 3mil....my wife is luckily like me and doesn't typically wear a wetsuit if it's around 81-82 but she will be taking her 3mil as well.

We are suppose to get in around 5:30am and we have transportation lined up to take us to the resort in Anilao where I booked the night before so we can check into the room when we get there.....cuz we will be zombies and grumpy.
Water temps do change throughout the year and month to month.

I couldn't find the 'edit' button to add this but think it's important.

The drive from Red Planet (hotel we stayed at in Manila - cheap and sufficient) to the dock where we got our water taxi was 3 hours. The ride on the boat was another hour. So when they say 'transfer' don't think of it as a half hour ride. You still have a long way to go. I believe it was longer on the way TO the resort because there was more traffic.

Add that to a 15 hour flight to Manila out of LAX and it's exhausting. Going back the flight is 13 hours from Manila to LAX. Still a long travel day.

we were there for a full moon so there was a fair amount of current

I didn’t even TRY to learn any names of nudis, there were just far too many!
I wonder how much current there is at other times, and how the experience compares to Raja Ampat (my 1 trip there is my only frame of reference for the Coral Triangle region diving) diving? In Raja, the currents weren't strong, but with macro subjects pretty common, guides would often move slowly hunting them, then it'd be needful to hold position while each diver or pair in sequence went by the view the find. For a chubby guy not seen at the gym, it was a strain. Were many dives like that on your trip?

Interesting to hear of Scandi Dive Resort. In the unlikely event I ever make it to Puerto Galera, the popular options well-reviewed on SB I was aware of were Atlantis (nice but pricy, and I'm cheap) and the El Galleon/Asia Divers combo. (well-lauded value option). So Scandi Dive Resort was very good for you; I wonder where it falls in compared to the other two, what factors might lead someone to pick one or the other.

Really nice review; appreciate the useful practical details.

I wonder how much current there is at other times, and how the experience compares to Raja Ampat (my 1 trip there is my only frame of reference for the Coral Triangle region diving) diving? In Raja, the currents weren't strong, but with macro subjects pretty common, guides would often move slowly hunting them, then it'd be needful to hold position while each diver or pair in sequence went by the view the find. For a chubby guy not seen at the gym, it was a strain. Were many dives like that on your trip?

Interesting to hear of Scandi Dive Resort. In the unlikely event I ever make it to Puerto Galera, the popular options well-reviewed on SB I was aware of were Atlantis (nice but pricy, and I'm cheap) and the El Galleon/Asia Divers combo. (well-lauded value option). So Scandi Dive Resort was very good for you; I wonder where it falls in compared to the other two, what factors might lead someone to pick one or the other.

Really nice review; appreciate the useful practical details.
Other than during the full moon neither of us thought the currents were a big deal. There were a couple of muck dives when I thought the current was a nuisance - and one was on our last dive (nowhere near the full moon). Most of our diving is Cozumel, so it may be that we're accustomed to a certain amount of current anyway. I did occasionally place a finger on a rock to stabilize to snap a pic. Roger didn't think there were any currents. Nobody was having to plant their muck sticks or grab onto rocks to keep from being swept away. I suspect you'd be fine.

We just got back from Puerto Galera and we had a wonderful time!

SCANDI DIVERS RESORT – truly, the jewel in their crown is their staff. From the dive crew, housekeeping, the kitchen/restaurant and customer service, they’re all very friendly and helpful. I think they really did know most people’s names by the second day (mine is oddball, so it took another day!). Several times throughout our stay they would leave little goodies on the bed for us. One day it was a woven bracelet; then a chocolate bar; then a crocheted Nemo key chain, and on the last day a small zippered pouch with Scandi Divers written on the outside. Each of these had a little note expressing their appreciation. Roger and I celebrated our 600th dive here and on the night of the big party we were presented with special t-shirts that had a special message about the 600 dives imprinted on the sleeve. Truly nice and thoughtful folks. Oh, nitrox is free. If you aren't nitro certified they will do the training for free.

GETTING THERE: We flew Philippines Airlines and were unimpressed. We were on 777-300s and the seating was tight. But worse, it seemed the airline was poorly run. Our flight out of LAX was delayed by TEN hours. First they delayed, then cancelled, then UNcancelled. Yes, I know this can happen with any airline (and it happened with an American flight in January for us). But the communication between travelers and the airline was poor. I STILL don’t really know why there was a ten hour delay. That said, we went STL to LAX and spent the night. Then the next day went LAX to MNL (Manila). The LAX to MNL flight was 15 hours going there, but it was 13 hours coming back (I guess tailwinds make up that much of a difference). We had the exact same seats both ways (41B&C). On the way there we had a breeze coming through the exit door and the guy at the window was using 5 blankets to stay warm. On the way back I prepared and was wearing every extra stitch of clothing I had and the door was secure and we were toasty. Weird. Anyway, you really need to take into consideration that the travel to and from an exotic destination is very tedious. You just might arrive cranky. We’re working on other ways to get there ‘less cranky’. Maybe fly to Honolulu and layover for a couple of days – something like that. If anyone has some reliable hacks, tips, tricks I would love to hear them.

More about getting there: We flew into Manila, then took a shuttle to Batangas (a long trek – couple of hours?) and then Scandi picks you up from there on a closed boat to go to the resort. When you arrive they have music playing, massage therapists giving you upper back and neck massages (it was heavenly) as you sit in the restaurant area. They explain how things work, give you a Scandi water bottle and welcome you to the resort. Lovely.

On the boat ride from Batangas to PG you will see a HUGE statue of Mary. That is Montemaria - Mother of all Asia. It is a tourist destination and is planned to be a residential area. She is the tallest statue in the Philippines and the 9th tallest in the world. You'll be able to see her from most of your dives.
@Kimela

very nice trip report, thank you...

Few things:
1. Philippine Airlines is fine for flights in and around Asia, but across the Pacific I will avoid them at any cost. The planes are older, they are almost always crowded, and the service is average at best.

There are other options... United now flies direct to Manila from SFO. United is significanlty better than PAL. If flying through LAX is a requirement, EVA now flies 3x a day from LAX to TPE, and the flight from TPE to MNL is just about 2 hours, and they also fly this 3x a day (EVA is much better than PAL). This also gives you a chance to get off the plane, walk around for an hour or so in the Taipei Airport (which is nice), then fly to Manila. Basically. I will always try to avoid PAL across the Pacific...

The other thing I often do is spend the day in Manila vs. taking the transfer to Batangas right after getting of the flight.

2. The vis in PG. It's never much better (reagrdless of the moon phase) - the area is not known for great vis, because all that stuff in the water is what makes the life so abundant. If you want great vis in the Philippines you need to try places like Tubbataha (which can only be dived by liveaboard - but vis is great). The trade off is you don't get the diversity of critters.

3. On the delay in LAX: PAL gets their planes serviced in MNL. If something needs work in LAX it's a much bigger hassle for them. PAL flies that route twice a day (different planes, departing ~6 hours apart). There is a chance you were delayed by ~10 hours because your plane was swapped out for the next one, and it was going to take them ~4 hours to turn it around after landing (~6 hours before your eventual departure).

They could have done this for a couple of reasons:
1. There was a maintenance issue with your plane
2. Between the two flights scheduled, one was only lightly booked. They have cancelled one of the two flights quite often when that is the case. The problem is that in the US if they cancel a flight they owe a credit (meals, potentially a hotel stay,etc.). Eaiser for them to "delay" the flight, vs. cancelling it (in the US). In MNL, they will just cancel it (happens somewhat frequently).

Last - yes the winds across the Pacific (during the northern hemisphere winter and spring) are significant. A two hour flight different is about right. I was on a flight (last year) from HKG to SFO that was over 3 hours faster going east to west than what the pilot said was the typical time flying the same route west to east.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom