Brand new Scubapro MK25 sputtering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I handed him the primary
And the primary 2nd stage was/is?
Does it rattle if you shake it?
See that lever at 8 o'clock in the photo, I suspect it is not set right [I am trying to keep this simple, OK], it may need a re-tune.
Get a regulator tech to do it if you don't know what you are doing.

how-scuba-diving-regulator-works.jpg

I'm somewhat of a new diver (3yrs, ~80 dives). I purchased only a mask and had been renting the rest of the gear whenever I dived. During my dive trip, I experienced two regulator failures (from two different dive shops) that nearly caused me to drown as I swallowed a few mouthfuls of seawater. After that, I decided that was two too many and went to a dive shop and picked up a new Scubapro MK25.

I brought it to an indoor dive facility to test it out. Towards the end of every breath, it would sputter (as in the delivery wasn't smooth and would rapidly cut on and off). I then took it back to the dive shop, and the owner hooked it up to some machine that measured the pressure output and assured it was working perfectly and was not defective. He said that it is likely that I am not drawing my breaths consistently, and recommended that I work on my breathing.

The main selling point he made for regulator is that you could inhale as if you're breathing normally and effortlessly. Whereas many regulators I've gotten as rentals had me inhaling pretty hard to to draw air.

I realize this is a reputable brand and model, so defect incidence is likely very small. So my question is is there a proper way to inhale to ensure smooth and consistent air delivery? Am I supposed draw breath at the same rate/pressure throughout my entire inhalation?
Was this a new purchase or a "new to you" purchase?

Can’t be 100% sure without being there but I believe your question has been answered, the video explains the mechanics mixed with what seem to be your breathing pattern/speed, a guess is that you are drawing air slower than the reg can smoothly function. The valve starts to open and the Venturi effect pops the valve open more where the pressure rapidly builds and closes the valve, your slow inhale drops internal pressure and starts the process all over.

I also have the S600 and my experience says you need to adjust it to your breathing style. If you want it to breath easy then set the dive/pre-dive lever to dive and leave it there. Then back the adjustment knob all the way out, it should start to hiss a bit if adjusted correctly. Then back in until it stops hissing. Now you have adjusted as easy as it gets. What is happening, I suspect, is the adjustment knob is turned in too far and as you inhale the pressure is dropping and closing the valve until your inhale brings the pressure back up. This will cause the regulator to flutter between open and closed during inhalation. The R195 does not have the same adjustment and would not have the same response.

If the S600 does not have a slight hiss when the knob is full open then I would suggest your regulator is not adjusted properly. IMHO

I'm somewhat of a new diver (3yrs, ~80 dives). I purchased only a mask and had been renting the rest of the gear whenever I dived. During my dive trip, I experienced two regulator failures (from two different dive shops) that nearly caused me to drown as I swallowed a few mouthfuls of seawater. After that, I decided that was two too many and went to a dive shop and picked up a new Scubapro MK25.

I brought it to an indoor dive facility to test it out. Towards the end of every breath, it would sputter (as in the delivery wasn't smooth and would rapidly cut on and off). I then took it back to the dive shop, and the owner hooked it up to some machine that measured the pressure output and assured it was working perfectly and was not defective. He said that it is likely that I am not drawing my breaths consistently, and recommended that I work on my breathing.

The main selling point he made for regulator is that you could inhale as if you're breathing normally and effortlessly. Whereas many regulators I've gotten as rentals had me inhaling pretty hard to to draw air.

I realize this is a reputable brand and model, so defect incidence is likely very small. So my question is is there a proper way to inhale to ensure smooth and consistent air delivery? Am I supposed draw breath at the same rate/pressure throughout my entire inhalation?
did you run some
tests with the adjustable knob on the side ?

so maybe it needed to be 'broken in'(?)
Who else finds the term "broken in" scary?
Ok, it could be just me.

Deleted my long post about, seats and pistons and whatnots 'setting in' first and 2nd stages etc, that's for another topic.

The word 'broken' does not sit well when talking about regulators with my OCD mind. :oops:
What broke?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom