Recommendations for best underwater macro setup that's not dslr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am upgrading my setup from a canon s95 which becomes my backup. I loved this camera and it yielded quality images with wet lens and strobe.

I am looking to spend Max £2.5k for a setup. Ideally nauticam housing but ikelite would do. I have people saying the Sony a6300 with 90mm lens is choice now but others say g7 X mark ii will yield quality macro, even Olympus tg4 has been recommended but seems a step back.

I will eventually go dslr once I find time to dive more to justify the outlay and when I can take long trips to justify the weight during travel.

I have a ys-01 strobe so needs to work with that and I favour super macro if that helps. I don't shoot much video tbh.

Any help would be great as I am a bit stuck. Compact vs mirrorless vs cheapest dslr in a cheaper housing ????

Thanks in advance

I use mirrorless 4/3 and a 60 mm macro lens which in the 35mm world I believe is equivalent to 120 mm. I get good macro but I can't say it's super macro. It's smaller and less weight that DSLR setups so travel is easier - everything is all carry on. YS01 strobe should work with them. I use a Nauticam housing. I would think 2500 Pounds would be enough but you'll have to add ports on the Nauticam housing. I have some macro photos in my SB gallery so you be the judge. Bear in mind some closeups are with macro mode on an Oly 12-50mm lens. If it's really close in my photos then it's the 60 mm lens.
I personaly would not step back to a compact (if that means no RAW, less manual functions, less resolution, etc).
I went to a Nauticam housing instead of the cheaper ones (plastic) for durability and depth. Though I won't be going to the max Nauticam housing depth, any flaw might be magnified and with any bump. I wanted it overbuilt for the purpose.
The good DSLRs have more function than my 4/3's (max shutter speed for example).
You might also pose this question in emails to reputable UW camera shops and see what they as well in addition to wetpixel and UWphotographyguide among others. dpreview has a side by side comparison but they are geared more toward topside. Should still be good info.

Thanks so much, I will do that and see what people add. Will check your pics as well

I will eventually go dslr once I find time to dive more to justify the outlay

If you go with a Nauticam housing with interchangeable lens ports, isn't the cost difference between a DSLR setup and something like a Mirrorless setup pretty small compared to the overall cost of the housing, port(s), and lens(es)?

From what you posted, I would consider looking at Meikon housings. They run $200 - 250. They will generally only work with whatever "kit" lens comes standard with your camera. Pick out the best mirrorless or DSLR camera for your long-term goals that has a Meikon housing available. Maybe that would be a DSLR. I don't know. I don't know if Meikon has housings for any DSLRs, but they definitely make housings for Mirrorless cameras.

I think you could get pretty far with macro shooting with a properly-selected camera, a Meikon housing, a diopter add-on, and good lighting. At that point where you'd want to step up to a more expensive rig, you can keep the camera you've been using and put the Meikon housing on a shelf (or in the trash) and ante up for the lens, housing, and lens port that you want then. Thus, minimal amounts of your initial outlay get wasted.

Caveat: I just started getting into u/w photography less than 2 months ago. So, take my comments for what they're worth. Maybe nothing. :)

Personally, I would not buy a Meikon housing. Way too restricted with a port that can't be changed. I certainly would not want one for a kit lens if I wanted to shoot supermacro! No possibility of using an external magnifying viewfinder, at least not with the plastic cover they come with, which is hugely important IMO.

If I were to buy a mirrorless camera, I'd probably go with an Oly E-M1 or E-M5 and their 60mm macro. Then find a used Nauticam housing, tray/handles, vacuum system & ports (easy to find in great shape) and a CMC wet diopter. You already have a strobe. Two can't hurt, but macro is definitely doable with one.

Thanks guys that's great.

if you're going mirror-less the a7s and a7sII are definitely the way to go. image quality is insane.
the dynamic range is great for low/no light scenarios. seriously look into it. if i had the extra cash that'd be the camera i'd buy like, now.
it shoots in low light/no light like no other in it's price range.
get an EF mount version so you can use good canon glass.
that camera, some good glass, and a beast of a housing and you're looking at a first class setup.

although I'm new to diving, I'm not new to water/surf photography.

if you're going mirror-less the a7s and a7sII are definitely the way to go. image quality is insane.
the dynamic range is great for low/no light scenarios. seriously look into it. if i had the extra cash that'd be the camera i'd buy like, now.
it shoots in low light/no light like no other in it's price range.
get an EF mount version so you can use good canon glass.
that camera, some good glass, and a beast of a housing and you're looking at a first class setup.

although I'm new to diving, I'm not new to water/surf photography.

Not to derail the question originally posted but am considering getting an U/W housing for our Sony a6000.

Do you know if you can set the internal strobe on the a7S or a7SII to 1/64 (or some fractional power) to trigger an external strobe set to manual. With my Olympus, I can set it to either TTL or fractional power for use with my S&S YS01 set to TTL or Manual accordingly.

The Sony a6000 and it is unable to be set for a fractional power on the strobe. Implications for this are battery life (which is not that great anyways), strobe recycle time and difficulty (if it is even possible) to shoot a fiber optic triggered S&S in manual. Great image quality and everything else on the Sony a6000 series (other than strobe setting and battery life).

Not to derail the question originally posted but am considering getting an U/W housing for our Sony a6000. . . .

Me, too. Watching this thread. A little "derail" is appreciated.

The sensor is quite small though, only 12MP which is the same as my compact. Do you mean the A7R??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom