Wife against me getting Cave Cert (full)..suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to everyone for their input. I have weighed all this. I don't live close to caves unfortunately, my wife is not a diver, we tried and she panicked even trying to breathe out of a snorkel. She is not coming around to accepting this and so for now no caves for me. I will continue to further my diving training and experience and maybe one day its in the cards. Ultimately if I ever screwed up in a cave the last thought I would want going through my mind is that I expired doing something there as no agreement on. For those of you that do cave dive.. luck you ! Enjoy and stay safe. It strikes me as something indescribably beautiful.

Given your situation you made the best possible decision,

Thank you to everyone for their input. I have weighed all this. I don't live close to caves unfortunately, my wife is not a diver, we tried and she panicked even trying to breathe out of a snorkel. She is not coming around to accepting this and so for now no caves for me. I will continue to further my diving training and experience and maybe one day its in the cards. Ultimately if I ever screwed up in a cave the last thought I would want going through my mind is that I expired doing something there as no agreement on. For those of you that do cave dive.. luck you ! Enjoy and stay safe. It strikes me as something indescribably beautiful.
I think you came to the best conclusion you could. Unfortunate that you can't get cave diving but I am sure your relationship with your wife is more important than any dive (it is isn't it? lol).

Part of her lack of acceptance may come from her own experience - she doesn't understand how serene and relaxing it can be (due to her fears) so probably is tense even when you do OW diving never mind ramping up the (perceived) danger by cave diving. That may or may not improve as time goes by (so long as you show her it is safe by coming back unharmed every dive).

In addition to the proverb that "there is nothing to see in a cave that is worth losing your life," I suppose we can add "there is nothing to see in a cave that is worth losing your marriage."

I think there may be a handful of other trained cave divers who have died without violating protocol. Dave Shaw for example. Unless I'm just misinformed about that accident.
David Shaw was way beyond his capacity and basically lost conciousness from CO2. Deep water blackout would be not following a rule (even though he was on a trimix at the time not deep air as Exley posits).

I have learned that unhappiness leads to seperation and devorce. I Know that once your family decided cave diving is a no go zone you can do little to change that.

You must define your risk with mitigation and have an agreed family saftey net in the event you expire. Once you family have a clear message that covers all topics, the decision making becomes easier.

David Shaw was way beyond his capacity and basically lost conciousness from CO2. Deep water blackout would be not following a rule (even though he was on a trimix at the time not deep air as Exley posits).
Undersood. @boulderjohn already explained it to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom